Thanks
    *Like a lot of Word users I have Word set to convert both single and double quotes into proper typographic quotes ("curly quotes", or "smart quotes" in MS's terminology). One of the things we are doing at work at the moment is writing multiple choice questions that are eventually loaded into a proprietary system that presents them to learners on screen. Unfortunately, that system doesn't like typographic quote marks (because they are not basic Unicode characters, or something?) and the people loading up the questions have to delete whatever it puts in their place and type straight quotes again.*

What I was wondering is whether there is a quick and easy way to convert them back to straight quotes in the Word document to make it easier for these colleagues to copy and paste them into their system. (If I wanted to do it the other way round, I would just do a find-and-replace of quotes with quotes, and Word would convert them, but can it be done in the reverse direction?)

We use Word 2003.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you should be able to turn off the "Smart Quotes" option, and then do a find and replace, but you will have to specify the left and right curly quotes separately.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWilson View Post
    *Like a lot of Word users I have Word set to convert both single and double quotes into proper typographic quotes ("curly quotes", or "smart quotes" in MS's terminology). One of the things we are doing at work at the moment is writing multiple choice questions that are eventually loaded into a proprietary system that presents them to learners on screen. Unfortunately, that system doesn't like typographic quote marks (because they are not basic Unicode characters, or something?) and the people loading up the questions have to delete whatever it puts in their place and type straight quotes again.*

What I was wondering is whether there is a quick and easy way to convert them back to straight quotes in the Word document to make it easier for these colleagues to copy and paste them into their system. (If I wanted to do it the other way round, I would just do a find-and-replace of quotes with quotes, and Word would convert them, but can it be done in the reverse direction?)

We use Word 2003.

Ian
    If you make a search and replace of curly quotes to straight quotes, the keyboard shortcuts for the curly quotes (to be typed in in the "search" field) are
    Ctrl-9 " and
    Ctrl-Apo "
    At least that is so in Word2007, but probably the same in Word2003.
    In the replace field you just type " (straight apo).
    But you knew that, perhaps, already

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    I think you should be able to turn off the "Smart Quotes" option, and then do a find and replace, but you will have to specify the left and right curly quotes separately.
    Thanks.

I experimented based on your advice. I turned off the smart quotes option in both Autoformat and Autoformat as you type, to be on the safe side. I then found that just typing ' in the find box and ' again in the replace box did what I wanted without having to differentiate between left and right quotes. Of course I then had to do it again for the double quotes and used " in both boxes, which again worked for both left and right quotes.

Simpler than I feared, then.

Ian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toktok View Post
    If you make a search and replace of curly quotes to straight quotes, the keyboard shortcuts for the curly quotes (to be typed in in the "search" field) are
    Ctrl-9 " and
    Ctrl-Apo "
    At least that is so in Word2007, but probably the same in Word2003.
    In the replace field you just type " (straight apo).
    But you knew that, perhaps, already**
    I couldn't get this to work. As soon as I tried to type Ctrl-9 and " it had the effect of producing double line spacing formatting for the find term.

But as you can see I have managed to solve my problem after getting WendellB's advice.

Thanks.

Ian