Thread: DISK ERRORS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I check my 5 year old 80 Gig Western digital hard drive for errors and repair them if present? My machine, running XP Pro, has been booting slowly and freezing up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Run CHKDSK against it. That's free.

This costs, but has always worked for me:

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with this company; I've just had good results.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Taylor View Post
    How can I check my 5 year old 80 Gig Western digital hard drive for errors and repair them if present? My machine, running XP Pro, has been booting slowly and freezing up.
    And, if you aren't familiar with running chkdsk, here's a brief "tutorial:"

1) From the Start Menu, select Run and enter CMD in the resulting box. Click OK.

2) When the black window opens with some form of C: prompt, enter: CHKDSK C: /R and press enter. (not case sensitive)

3) You should get a message asking if you want to run it when the machine restarts. Type Y and press enter.

4) From the Start Menu, restart the computer and the CHKDSK should run after the reboot.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you get more than 1 or 2 bad sectors it is time to replace the hard disk - modern hard disks hide bad sectors from the computer, so if any show up the hard disk is dying.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you get more than 1 or 2 bad sectors it is time to replace the hard disk - modern hard disks hide bad sectors from the computer, so if any show up the hard disk is dying.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You can also go to this page on Western Digital's website and download their "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" program to test the drive. You also might want to download the Acronis True Image WD edition that's on the same page, install it and make an image of the drive to another HDD or optical media to save the files that are currently on the 80GB HDD.
    "A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." Robert A. Heinlein