Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    My OE has become so sick that I have switched to other email clients.

Whichever one I use (Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.), I cannot make it the default to replace OE (Using the "check now" option).

Even if I use the Control Panel to make the change, it appears to work, but if I go back I find that the change has not taken place, and OE is still the default email client.

I tried to force the change by changing the name of OE so it couldn't be found. Within seconds a new OE was placed in the folder.

I can still use Thunderbird, but whenever I click on an email link in my browser, it starts up OE.

How can I drive a stake through OE's heart?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hsfrey View Post
    My OE has become so sick that I have switched to other email clients.

Whichever one I use (Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.), I cannot make it the default to replace OE (Using the "check now" option).

Even if I use the Control Panel to make the change, it appears to work, but if I go back I find that the change has not taken place, and OE is still the default email client.

I tried to force the change by changing the name of OE so it couldn't be found. Within seconds a new OE was placed in the folder.

I can still use Thunderbird, but whenever I click on an email link in my browser, it starts up OE.

How can I drive a stake through OE's heart?
    Which browser do you use? One way is to change it in FireFox is thru Tools/Options/Applications > scroll down to "Mail to" and OE is selected by default on mine but you click the down arrow and get other options so you choose and can set it there

You said you changed it in Control Panel. Did you do it thru "Change Program Access and Defaults"?

What do you mean, "My OE has become so sick that I have switched to other email clients"?
    Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hsfrey View Post
    Not clear what changes you have made in the Control Panel. Have you tried 'Internet Options|Programs', then changing the program in 'E-mail' to your new program via the drop-down box?

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks !

Changing it in Firefox did the trick!

When I tried before, using "Change Program Access and Defaults" in the control panel, it would reset back to OE as soon as I exited.

As far as my problems with OE:

I have some big mail folders. OE was popping up every 2 or 3 minutes, stealing the focus, asking to compact them. It continued to do so even after I let it do the compacting.

It always had a certain tone it would sound when it popped up. Even when I wasn't running OE, that tone would periodically sound continuously for 20 or 30 seconds, maybe every 20 minutes or so. Sick!

Rather than reinstall OE from disc, which would leave me with an old un-updated (and no longer supported) version, I decided to use a different email client. Thunderbird is the best of those I tried, but still not as nice as OE was when it was working, I liked being able to easily switch between editing text wysiwyg and editing the html. I can do it in TBird, but not as easily; But I see no way to insert a text file or a signature in an arbitrary place.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sounds like you need to go in and remove ALL unneeded mail, you are at the point of no return if you keep adding more mail.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Sounds like you need to go in and remove ALL unneeded mail, you are at the point of no return if you keep adding more mail.
    This is a truism indeed~!~!~! I love OE on my XP and have managed to keep it whittled down in respect to mailbox folder sizes. I have compacted mine as well, but it does require simple maintenance to manage. I made backup folders for mine and have the important ones on a flash drive. Then I went in and deleted all unnecessary messages from my main OE to make them more manageable.

Hey Jude

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    This is a truism indeed~!~!~! I love OE on my XP and have managed to keep it whittled down in respect to mailbox folder sizes.
    Use Thunderbird and you don't have this kind of hassle (so far!)... I have MANY years of emails stored in my TB mail folders and have never ( ) had a hiccup. Yeah, TB takes about 30-60 seconds to load on startup but I don't have to do that too often.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a truism indeed~!~!~! I love OE on my XP and have managed to keep it whittled down in respect to mailbox folder sizes.
    Use Thunderbird and you don't have this kind of hassle (so far!)... I have MANY years of emails stored in my TB mail folders and have never ( ) had a hiccup. Yeah, TB takes about 30-60 seconds to load on startup but I don't have to do that too often.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I have tried TB but just don't like the latest version of it, so I also use Yahoo and Gmail which forwards my ISP mail there. I compact my OE maybe once every quarter so don't find that much of a hassle. Thanks for the recommendation tho

We are supposed to get to 33 today which will truly be a ~~~~~HEAT WAVE~~~~~

Hey Jude

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast