Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    At the beginning of December I asked if anyone had a solution to a problem that had been bothering me since August, when I installed Win 7 RC1 -- every now and then (later determined to be at least every 24 hours) the icons stuck on the taskbar would respond to a clicking by turning the background blue(er) for some number of seconds and then simply die out; in addition, when I tried to start the task manager, I would get an error message. In short, the system stilled purred along (BOINC in the background, among other things that still worked) but the system no longer responded to my input. This occurred in Win7 RC1 32-bit, Win7 released 32-bit, Win7 released 64-bit but NOT with Windows XP. Well, longish story short, no one responded, so I decided to try replacing components one by one, finally leaving just the processor. When I replaced that with another Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, the problem seemed to go away and for a few days I rejoiced and, after those few days, duly posted a response to my own message that relayed that message.

But it wasn't to be: Right after doing that in late December, the problem reared its ugly head again, although this time it was slightly different. So, after having replaced the guts of the machine completely, I was stymied. It just had to be a software problem with Win7. Through trial and error, I finally discovered it: Advanced Spyware Remover from IOBit. I uninstalled it, scrubbed my registry of references to it, and the machine has now been running 24/7 nearly two weeks without a hiccup. Apparently when ASR ran its unattended scan -- once a day --, it mucked something up and didn't even have the good graces to tell me (I jest). So, I think the problem is solved and Intel's reputation is secure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At the beginning of December I asked if anyone had a solution to a problem that had been bothering me since August, when I installed Win 7 RC1 -- every now and then (later determined to be at least every 24 hours) the icons stuck on the taskbar would respond to a clicking by turning the background blue(er) for some number of seconds and then simply die out; in addition, when I tried to start the task manager, I would get an error message. In short, the system stilled purred along (BOINC in the background, among other things that still worked) but the system no longer responded to my input. This occurred in Win7 RC1 32-bit, Win7 released 32-bit, Win7 released 64-bit but NOT with Windows XP. Well, longish story short, no one responded, so I decided to try replacing components one by one, finally leaving just the processor. When I replaced that with another Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, the problem seemed to go away and for a few days I rejoiced and, after those few days, duly posted a response to my own message that relayed that message.

But it wasn't to be: Right after doing that in late December, the problem reared its ugly head again, although this time it was slightly different. So, after having replaced the guts of the machine completely, I was stymied. It just had to be a software problem with Win7. Through trial and error, I finally discovered it: Advanced Spyware Remover from IOBit. I uninstalled it, scrubbed my registry of references to it, and the machine has now been running 24/7 nearly two weeks without a hiccup. Apparently when ASR ran its unattended scan -- once a day --, it mucked something up and didn't even have the good graces to tell me (I jest). So, I think the problem is solved and Intel's reputation is secure.

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    In looking at ASR site they state it is compatible with Win 7, but your experience make me think it still has some problems. Who knows what combination of software and hardware caused this, but thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    In looking at ASR site they state it is compatible with Win 7, but your experience make me think it still has some problems. Who knows what combination of software and hardware caused this, but thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast