Thanks
    I have a machine built for me by GamePC in Palo Alto. The C drive is a RAID 1 that uses two Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM HDD's. More and more frequently, when I shut down at night the machine reboots instead and begins rebuilding the RAID structure. Game PC suggest that I use one of the two Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7,200 RPM (not RAID 1) to store some of the files that were added to the C drive by default, e.g., My Documents, because the C drive is now 82% filled.

I see that the 500 GB drives are now $55 each. I have a firewire box into which I could install one. The 40 GB drive that is there now is too small to be of much use for anything today.

I could:

1) move everything on the 500 GB drives to this new remote drive as a backup. At most it would be 40% full.

2) reformat the internal pair and reconstitute them as a second RAID 1 pair

3) then move back the desired files from the remote disk to this RAID pair

4) Next move My Documents and my Mozilla profile and email archive to the larger RAID 1 pair

5) Finally defrag the C drive to improve its speed and stability

Does this seem a logical strategy?

If so, Id like advice on some tools and techniques.

1) Is there a graphical interface that will let me display the tree structure step-by-step that will report the number of bytes stored in any selected entire tree branch?

That would help me know what might make a significant difference if I moved it. That would leave me with one remaining question.

2) What is the proper technique for changing the location of a major tree like My Documents? Clearly applications like Office need to know where it is. My guess is that drag and drop is insufficient to accomplish this task. Am I correct?

Some resident mavens will see other traps I might fall into and have warnings about them as well. Some may have other ways to simplify my OS drive. All are welcome.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Thanks
    I have a machine built for me by GamePC in Palo Alto. The C drive is a RAID 1 that uses two Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM HDD's. More and more frequently, when I shut down at night the machine reboots instead and begins rebuilding the RAID structure. Game PC suggest that I use one of the two Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7,200 RPM (not RAID 1) to store some of the files that were added to the C drive by default, e.g., My Documents, because the C drive is now 82% filled.

I see that the 500 GB drives are now $55 each. I have a firewire box into which I could install one. The 40 GB drive that is there now is too small to be of much use for anything today.

I could:

1) move everything on the 500 GB drives to this new remote drive as a backup. At most it would be 40% full.

4) Next move My Documents and my Mozilla profile and email archive to the larger RAID 1 pair

1) Is there a graphical interface that will let me display the tree structure step-by-step that will report the number of bytes stored in any selected entire tree branch?

That would help me know what might make a significant difference if I moved it. That would leave me with one remaining question.

2) What is the proper technique for changing the location of a major tree like My Documents? Clearly applications like Office need to know where it is. My guess is that drag and drop is insufficient to accomplish this task. Am I correct?

Some resident mavens will see other traps I might fall into and have warnings about them as well. Some may have other ways to simplify my OS drive. All are welcome.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I could:

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I could:

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I could:

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I could:

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I could:

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

I could:

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think the reboot problem needs to be sorted, but you need a good backup first. (Do you have a backup?)
    |I would start by re-seating all your components and connectors - take the plugs off and put them back on again, take the memory out and put it back in again.

Leave the RAID pair for the OS, no downside there.

Moving all data to a new drive is a good idea. You can re-build the OS without having to worry about losing data.

To move My Documents you right click on My Documents, select Properties, change the location and click Move.

Use Mozbackup to backup the Mozilla settings. No need to move the profile.

Treesize free is a great space use viewer.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

Thanks for your thoughtful and informative response.

The machine was new in March 2008. I'm inclined to believe that the hardware is still happy and that the GamePC tech is right that having the OS drive over 80% full may be the source of much of my grief.

I will check out Treesize and see if I have further questions once I have a clearer picture of what folders are responsible for the full drive.

I am contemplating moving "Documents and Settings" and "Program Files" off of C: to the larger RAID pair I am contemplating. Has anyone had experience with doing this?

As I understand it, the Mozilla Profile, which contains archived email, is under "Documents and Settings\Application Data." The borderline between the OS and this major folder seems fuzzy to me. Am I confused?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Having an OS disk 80% full is not an issue. It may slow your machine down a bit but Windows doesn't mind.

Do not attempt to move Program Files, your programs will stop working. There are countless references in the Registry that point to Program Files and these are very difficult to change. Some badly written programs assume they are always in C:\Program Files and wont move.

"Documents and Settings\Application Data" cannot be moved - it doesn't move with My Documents.
    Mozilla mail files can be moved from the profile directory to My Documents, or anywhere else you like. See the Mozilla forums.

cheers, Paul