Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to install my HP J480 all-in-one for almost two years. On my networked Vista PC it installed without a hitch, including the HP Solution Center which handles scanning, faxes, etc. The XP SP3 installation quits at about 90%, with the message "There was a problem installing hardware HP OJ J6400 series. The specified port is unknown." It turns out that I can print (but not scan or fax) successfully. When I look at the properties for the printer and check the port settings it show the same ethernet TCP/IP port used by my Vista PC. What failed to install completely is the Solution Center software. Clicking on that desktop icon yields the message "No HP devices have been detected" and then closes.

I went to the ethernet connection after many, many attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling (with latest HP software from their site) using the USB connection. HP support could not solve the problem. Neither could various HP forums where I found dozens of people with similar problems with a host of HP printers. To complicate matters, when I reboot the PC I get this message from Windows: "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close." This message appears two or three more times until bootup is complete. Interspersed with those messages is one about a failure to install HP J6480. Searching Microsoft KB for answers produced nothing useful. (Yes I did "clean boot", played with Msconfig, etc.) After this bootup nonsense is finished the system operates normally. And I can print in B&W and color!

I am looking to this newly expanded forum for help.
    HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to install my HP J480 all-in-one for almost two years. On my networked Vista PC it installed without a hitch, including the HP Solution Center which handles scanning, faxes, etc. The XP SP3 installation quits at about 90%, with the message "There was a problem installing hardware HP OJ J6400 series. The specified port is unknown." It turns out that I can print (but not scan or fax) successfully. When I look at the properties for the printer and check the port settings it show the same ethernet TCP/IP port used by my Vista PC. What failed to install completely is the Solution Center software. Clicking on that desktop icon yields the message "No HP devices have been detected" and then closes.

I went to the ethernet connection after many, many attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling (with latest HP software from their site) using the USB connection. HP support could not solve the problem. Neither could various HP forums where I found dozens of people with similar problems with a host of HP printers. To complicate matters, when I reboot the PC I get this message from Windows: "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close." This message appears two or three more times until bootup is complete. Interspersed with those messages is one about a failure to install HP J6480. Searching Microsoft KB for answers produced nothing useful. (Yes I did "clean boot", played with Msconfig, etc.) After this bootup nonsense is finished the system operates normally. And I can print in B&W and color!

HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HH

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think the error messages are part of your problem. Something in XP is not happy and it may be hardware or software.
    Can you use other USB devices?
    Do you have other strange behaviour on that PC?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. Of course XP is unhappy. It's always moaning about something! Seriously though, this PC runs well, except for the error messages when rebooting. I have a USB laser printer that works fine. I still want to know why the "port is unknown" when it shows up in the printer properties. And it's a TCP/IP port, not a USB. I replaced an old Canon all-in-one USB, which worked fine, with this new HP J6480. Judging from the myriad similar comments on HP and other forums there is definitely a bug in HP's Solution Center installation routine. The fix, however, seems to be elusive.
    HH

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The port should be USB, not TCP. TCP is for network connections only.
    Does Windows Device Manager see the printer? Right click on My Computer and select Manage, then Device manager.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think you understand my configuration. I have two networked PCs, a Vista computer and an XP computer. The Vista PC is connected to the HP printer via a TCP/IP port. It works fine.
    The printer has three optional connections: USB, ethernet (TCP/IP) and wireless. After many failed attempts to install the printer via the USB connection I chose the TCP/IP for the XP PC. That connection fails at the same point in the installation, with the same error messages as the USB connection, "The specified port is unknown". My question is why the port is unknown when the printer Properties show the port alive and well.
    HH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    HP printers can be extremely finicky when it comes to their software.

One thing I find that tends to help is to uninstall the software completely from the computer, and then remove all traces of the printer in Device Manager. The trick is however, that you also want to remove "hidden" entries in Device Manager that relate to the printer. I may have posted this in another thread, but what you'll want to do is open a command prompt, and type the following (as referenced in THIS KBase article:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

I had to do this when I goofed up while installing an older HP Photosmart P1100 printer (plugging in printer before installing drivers) and this was the only way to clean things up.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Make sure you use the same IP address for the printer as the Vista PC uses.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the printer have it's own network connection or is it shared from the Vista PC? If the latter, the problem is likely to do with the Windows Firewall settings of the Vista PC, which tend not to play well with earlier versions of Windows. Alternatively, a share from the Vista PC may use a driver not compatible with XP. It should be possible to add the XP driver to the share, but without a Vista machine to hand and after more than a bottle of wine, I'm not going to try to tell you how to do that right now!
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast