4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup File (Access 2K SR2)

How do you associate 2 or more different files to the workgroup file?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup File (Access 2K SR2)

I don't think I understand the question. Once a user joins a workgroup, that's the workgroup they're in for all databases unless they join a different one themselves or they use a shortcut that passes a workgroup argument to change it.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,
    Well what I mean is how do you make two access files use the same workgroup file? I have a front end/back end file arrangement and want to make sure that all settings in the workgroup file apply to both the front end and back end. I have the security add-in and that seems to help a bit with getting the settings for the groups and users. I see where it says which workgroup each file is using, but how do you change that if needed? Also, I have a user set up for read/write access on the back end file, however it won't let me login as that user unless I put them in the admins group. I don't understand why.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have two databases open at the same time (as is the case with a front-end/back-end) they already *are* using the same workgroup. A user can only join one workgroup at a time and it applies to any sessions of Access they open until the next time they join a different workgroup. If you want to limit which workgroup they can use to open a particular front or backend, that's a different question.
    <hr>Also, I have a user set up for read/write access on the back end file, however it won't let me login as that user unless I put them in the admins group. <hr>
    I don't understand what you mean about permissions on the back end file. Are you talking about Access security or network security? No user should be opening the back-end directly. They should do all their work from the front-end, and you give them permissions from the front end through a combination of user group permissions and the use of the Owner's run permissions, adding "WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION" to the end of a query, for example.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that clears up some of it. The problem with the access to the back end file is as follows: I go into the front end and assign group access levels, with the user in question having read/write data access. When I try to open the front end with this user, I get the error that says I don't have sufficient access authority on the "Back end" file, even though I am opening the front end. I have checked and both FE/BE files are pointing to the same MDW file. Then, if I assign admins level to the user, I can open the FE without problems.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When do you get the error and how are you connecting to the back end? If you're doing something like relinking the tables, etc., you have to do that in code using ADMINS permissions.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,
    I am opening the front end as if to access the database and view/add data. I am not re-linking tables or trying to change the design in any way. This is the normal fashion we have been using this database since '97. Right now I have a simple logon form that they use to pick their name from a list, after which they go to the main data screen. If I add the user to the admins group everything works. For the user I have set: Read Design, Modify Design, and all of the data check boxes.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Appologies for butting into this thread this far into the discussion, but perhaps I can help. An important point to remember is that permissions for both users and groups are stored in the database that contains those objects. In FE/BE applications it may be necessary to set permissions on tables set in both MDB files.

It sounds as if you don't really have Access security active - have you given the Admin account in Access a password? If not you are always logging in as Admin. If the two databases were created with two different installs of Access, that can cause strange behaviors. Also, has your back-end mdb been converted to 2000? It is quite possible to connect to an Access 97 mdb file from an Access 2000 front-end. In that case the security ID used by Access 2000 will be different from the one used by Access 97, and you may encounter permissions problems. Hope this is useful.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell,
    Both files are in 2000. I haven't yet set the admin password for either file. I am just getting off the ground with the security stuff. I have downloaded a bunch of docs from MS about the security and I am looking through them now as well.

So, If I assign an admin password on the back end file will that make the user in question now be able to use the DB? Like I said before, the only way I can open the FE with this user is to assign them to "admins"

Thanks,
    Mark