Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot for the life of me work out this search functionality. How do I search the lounge for a specific phrase, like a 3 word string?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Using
    Code:
    +this +search +functionality
    seems to bring up a thread with all three words in it.

Using
    Code:
    "this search functionality"
    seems to bring up only threads with a post including that specific string.

But whether or not it works with words <3 characters long or not, I'm not certain. Searching for
    Code:
    "3 word string"
    brings up only your post above, but only "word string" is highlighted.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Leif. I think it is the "<3 Character" bit that messes me up.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The built in search functionality is awful. I'm in the process of implementing an alternative search engine that uses search syntax similar to what we're all used to. Look for it within the coming week.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNath View Post
    Hi,
    May I ask what the search query was? Or if you can give some similar example.

I agree that the present search functionality isn't so good, and we are soon getting a new and better.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNath View Post
    OK, no example. Here is a suggestion.

When we moved to the IPB software I found that we can't search for 3 letter words (without using some search operators), since there is a limit, and sometimes there are very good reasons for search limits as we all know.

Three letter words could in this case be: AVG, IBM etc. (Even though it somehow seems that the limit should be allowing 3 letters, the "error" message seems to indicate that: "A search term was below 2 characters or is a word that is not searchable for technical reasons."; we can all understand why a search function excludes the common word "and" etc., but for example "toe"? ).

So, without knowing what you would like to find, or examples, I can only suggest something like this:

AVG*

Or

+AVG* +settings

Asterisk (*) for truncated search; it will result in, in this case, "AVG" plus something else; "AVG " (AVG space), "AVG...", "AVG9" etc.

Since I assume you can get a lot of results, depending on what you would like to search, I suggest using a plus sign, for different combinations. Or in combination with quotation marks, like this:

+AVG* +"Control Center"

So I think it perhaps could be possible to find what you want. However, I don't see consistent results all the time, so it can't be relied on completely, but perhaps enough to find what you want. That is, an example: +avg +Test will only include avg if it by chance is mentioned in a post with the word: test. +AVG +"Test center" will return 9 results; 8 about AVG and Test center and one about something else with the words "Test center"; but note: this is a very specific case since "Test center" was very much related to AVG, so I could have used that phrase only ("Test center") . So one should be able to use +AVG* +"Test center" (with asterisk) to get only 8 perhaps? But this will only return 3 results, a subset of the aforementioned result. Same with the above example, control center is related to AVG so no wonder that it is found in posts also mentioning AVG.

But perhaps you can find it with the use of the asterisk.

HTH

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The site should by now be available to Google. So try a Google search

Site:www.windowssecrets.com avg security
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitfield View Post
    The site should by now be available to Google. So try a Google search

Site:www.windowssecrets.com avg security
    Yes, the site operator can be used; I think one should use "lounge.windowssecrets.com" for that (such as: avg security site:lounge.windowssecrets.com (lowercase s)), or, "site:windowssecrets.com" to include both the Lounge and the other pages at windowssecrets.com. But the Lounge is far from indexed; it takes some time.

I usually don't use external search engines when there is one at a site, but it happens quite often. But the site must be reasonably indexed.

Nathan can perhaps find it that way, if indexed, or as I mentioned using an asterisk, in the interim before we get a new search engine; or just forget about the whole thing.