Thread: TEMP folders

Lounger
    Thanks
    On my two-month-old W7 computer, there are about six or eight TEMP folders scattered around: c:\Windows\Temp, at least one in each User's AppData folder, some in Systems folders, etc. Which TEMP folders should I delete every file out of (except for files with today's date-stamp), and which TEMP folders should I leave alone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you are NOT hurting for disk space and are not trying to hide anything, one can just let the OS manage these.

To clean up the internet temp files when using IE, is delete the tempt file from the Internet Options panes, for each account.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    If you do empty all Temp folders, one problem you may come up against eventually is that some programs will not uninstall. Many are so badly written that the uninstaller resides in a Temp folder somewhere.

Thanks
    You can automate some of the temp file cleanup. This is originally from Fred Langa.

In notepad, copy the following:

(Copy just the next 5 lines)

del /q /s "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"

del /q /s "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*"

del /q /s "C:\Temp\*.*"

del /q /s "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windo ws\Recent Items\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:99

You would have to customize to your set up. Change UserName to your name.

Save as a .bat file on you desktop. Name it CleanUp or something similar.

Select Run and type: "cleanmgr /sageset:99" without the quotes.

This allows you to set the cleanmgr to allow maximum clean up

Now whenever you want to clean temp files simply click on the Cleanup.bat file on you desktop
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I use CCleaner to empty my temp files and haven't ever had any issues with anything essential being deleted. Alot of folks use this program which by the way is free. I run it on 4 computers, 2 XP , 1 Win 7 and 1 Vista. You can set it to automatically check for updates and when you click the desktop icon you click "analyze" and "Run Cleaner" and if it's set to automatically close upon completion then you are finished.
    Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    I use CCleaner to empty my temp files and haven't ever had any issues with anything essential being deleted. Alot of folks use this program which by the way is free. I run it on 4 computers, 2 XP , 1 Win 7 and 1 Vista. You can set it to automatically check for updates and when you click the desktop icon you click "analyze" and "Run Cleaner" and if it's set to automatically close upon completion then you are finished.
    Hey Jude

After looking closer at CCleaner, this may be easier than even my batch file!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    After looking closer at CCleaner, this may be easier than even my batch file!
    I've been a happy camper for quite a few years with it and all it's re-incarnations. When I d/l the free Glary Pro the other day, I ran it against CC and both programs were right on target with what they deleted and cleaned. I hope you try CC and see how you like it.

Hey Jude

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Jude
    Jude, thanks (REALLY) for that tipoff about CCleaner. It's just the program that I would have written myself, if I'd had the time (and the Systems knowledge).

Thanks
    I've been a happy camper for quite a few years with it and all it's re-incarnations. When I d/l the free Glary Pro the other day, I ran it against CC and both programs were right on target with what they deleted and cleaned. I hope you try CC and see how you like it.

Hey Jude

Been using it for a couple of months. I even have the mobile version on a flash drive for when my relatives ask for help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Been using it for a couple of months. I even have the mobile version on a flash drive for when my relatives ask for help.
    I logged on earlier this morning and read your response regarding how CC could be a great improvement over writing batch programs. Yes indeed it can be and IS. Glad it is working for you as well.

Hey Jude

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Richardson View Post
    Jude, thanks (REALLY) for that tipoff about CCleaner. It's just the program that I would have written myself, if I'd had the time (and the Systems knowledge).
    You are SO very WELCOME I love this program and yes, IF I had Systems knowledge and (I do have the time but without the knowledge.....) I would love to write stuff like this too. Years ago Webroot had a window washer program I enjoyed using and the wiper blades would swish as it was cleaning the temp files. Then before that was a trial one that had a name similar to scrubbing bubbles, but it was all about soap bubbles and I loved it. I never paid for the program but it would analyze your system and then give you the results but it wouldn't delete them until you paid. SO I learned my way around the registry by going into each HKey etc. and removing all said offenders. It got where I was pretty good at doing it w/o it and then when I would run it, there weren't that many. I got tired of it and then latched onto window washer. Then I found CCleaner and have been a loyalist ever since. I also like EasyCleaner by ToniArts for removing duplicate files and other space-gobbling junk. I rarely use that one now, but once-in-a-while I run it just to see what's up.

Thanks so much for posting that the solution can work for you. That's great to know

Hey Jude