Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Windows 7 is the important element in this, although several components are involved.

We have 2 PCs both running Windows 7 with a homegroup defined. We have an HP laserjet 1022 that we wish to share (and also a couple of other printers on my wife's PC).
    My PC runs 64 bit Win 7; my wife's runs the 32 bit version.

Initially the HP LJ 1022 was on my PC and has run there for several weeks under Windows 7. Then I set up the homegroup and connected both PCs. .
    On my wife's PC on the homegroup control panel page there appeared a notification that "a new shared printer" was available and inviting me to click on the button to install it. When I did so, nothing happened. Reboot, etc, still nothing.

On my PC a similar message appeared, presumably inviting me to connect to a printer on the other PC; again, no response to the install printer button. I am aware of the need to have the correct 64 or 32 bit drivers on each PC, but I am not getting as far as an invitation to select a driver.

Before trying the homegroup, I had in fact set up drivers for the LJ1022 on my PC (64 bit version) and on my wife's PC (32 bit version). That was fine for me, but erratic for her, as the network connection seemed to have mind of it's own. I also had a struggle getting an updated Intel driver for the Intel Pro1000GT to install in place of the Windows driver, as I though that might be part of the problem. Having fixed, I think and hope, the network connection, I thought let's try a homegroup. But as you see that is not yet the answer.

So now I am trying another option. I can connect this HP 1022 to a USB socket on a shared NAS box (a Netgear ReadyNAS NVS) and this would have the advantage of enabling either of us to use the printer regardless of the state of the other half's PC.. ( The NAS has been working fine for backup etc from both PCs for several weeks.)
    That worked fine for my wife's 32 bit PC; the printer is defined and she can use it. Fine for her, but not so far for me. The printer is visible in a Windows Explorer folder for the NAS on my PC, but it won't install. I get a message "Wndows cannot connect to the printer, operation failed with error code 0x0000000d".when I try to install it.

What have I managed to get screwed up in all this?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Does your homegroup network work in both directions for sharing files/folders?

Have you specifically enabled sharing of the printer?

Have you tried temporarily disabling any firewalls?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying, Phil Arn,
    I should have mentioned the firewall situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Arn View Post
    Does your homegroup network work in both directions for sharing files/folders?
    My wife's PC (32 bit) can see everything on my PC.
    My PC (64 bit) cannot see libraries or folders on my wife's PC. When I click on say Documents under the name of her PC, nothing happens, the list does not expand to show the subfolders, as it should.

Have you specifically enabled sharing of the printer?
    When it was on my PC - Yes. I checked yesterday.
    With it now on the NAS the question doesn't apply.

Have you tried temporarily disabling any firewalls?
    For the moment, both PCs are running the Windows firewall. My wife's has Zonealarm installed but disabled. (I had earlier discovered on the Zonelabs frum that one must specifically enable IPv6 networking in the advanced settings tab under Firewall Main to allow you to use HomeGroup in Windows 7. But then I stopped Zonealarm as part of the problem investigation.)

My PC awaits the release of an update to the Sunbelt Software firewall for Win 7, so it is running only the Windows firewall. Looking at the settings for Win firewall on both systems, it seems sensible - superficially. Both PCs run Sunbelt's Vipre anti-everything-nasty package, but not their firewall.

Turning off the WF on both PCs makes no difference to library access and i still cannot install the laserjet attached to the NAS.

So there is something odd about my machine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do BOTH machinse have an account that has the same User Name and REAL password?

Both Vista and Windows 7 networking works much better if you have the same account name and password on all machines.
    If not, make a account on each machine, with the same names and password. Log in to this account on each machine and get it set up, as the folders need to be made. Log out of this account and log into your normal account. This other account does NOT need to used again, unless you are having problems. Keep as a Admin Type and use it as a back door, but keep it on your machine.

I have not found much that I like about "HomeGroups", but of course I am running XP, Vista and Windows 7 on our "WorkGroup" network.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. No, different user names at present. I hope to be able to try your suggestion tomorrow.