Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I often have emails sent to my wife's email address and mine on my computer. I have a rule that moves all mail to her to her folder. However, when someone sends something to both of us it moves both of them to her folder. How do I get it to where it only sends one and keeps the one to me in my folder?

Thanks

Thanks
    You could create a rule, that copies the e-mail to your folder not moves it,either when it arrives, or when it arrives in your wifes inbox.
    In the Rules Wizard click on "Start with a blank rule and you should be able to go from there.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    You could create a rule, that copies the e-mail to your folder not moves it,either when it arrives, or when it arrives in your wifes inbox. In the Rules Wizard click on "Start with a blank rule and you should be able to go from there.
    Plus a second Rule for when the message is only addressed to her, using the same rule you have now, but using the "Except...when I'm on the to line". In both Rules also check the "stop processing more rules" option.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still can't get it to work right.

Attached is the image showing how the first settings are set up. What am I missing?

[attachment=87808:rules.jpg]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sharing a single PST file?

Why not setup for each of you a separate Windows account and then each could have separate Outlook PST files, and your problem wold go away.

As long as a email address is in the incoming mail, and a rule says send it to X folder, then it will.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    She has her own laptop and I want to use one PST file and not switch back and forth. I want to be able to occasionally read emails sent to her email address from with in my Outlook.

Is there not a way then to have it send a copy to her fold and the mail also put in my box since it was sent to both of us?

Thanks
    Ok
    Let me ask you this. Are you using two computers? Because if you are you can do this but it is a little tricky.

First let me say that if any of the administrators find that this is against forum policy please feel free to delete this. It is not however illegal.

First you will need to set up her e-mail account on your computer, then set up a rule that says that when e-mail has arrived through the specified Account (hers), then move or copy it to her folder. Rules Wizard Page 3) You will have to decide.Click Apply, and that should take care of the first part. If you want to reply to the e-mail, you will also have to set up a rule to send a copy to your inbox where you can reply from.
    Now comes the fun part!
    Go to "Tools" on the main outlook tool bar, and highlite Send and Receive, scroll down and you will see near the bottom to "Send and Receive settings", the next pop out click on Define Send/Receive Groups.
    Now you have another pop up. You will need to set up another send/receive group in there. So click on New, and follow the prompts to set this up. Now highlite the group you just created, and click Edit. This will bring up another window where you will see all of the e-mail accounts on your computer. Highlite the one you just created, and make sure there is a check mark in the "Include this account in this group". Your other e-mail address's should all now have an "X" next to them but that is ok, because that doesn't matter under this account. Also make sure that only the "Receive Mail" button is checked. Make Sure that the "Send Mail Item" button is unchecked. <<VERY IMPORTANT.
    Next: In that same window click on Account Properties. This will take you to the "Internet e-mail Settings" window. Click on the "Advanced" tab and near the bottom, you will see a box that says "Leave a Copy of message on the Server" put a check mark in that box.
    Now what you have done is this. When you do a send and receive on your computer, your computer will receive her e-mails like you want, but when she does a send and receive she will still get them. Word of caution though if she does a send and receive first, then you won't get anything that isn't already downloaded to her computer.
    And last but not least. I am not sure which version of Outlook you are using, but you will need to add a "Send and Receive All" button to your ribbon. That can be done by going to View, Toolbars, Customize and Commands. Then choose Tools on the left, and scroll through until you see "Send and Receive All" on the right. Left click and hold and drag it up to the ribbon, and drop it. Now instead of clicking on send and receive, you will click on send and receive all, and that will include the new account group.

take your time when setting this up and you should be just fine.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I need all my mail to stay in the inbox. Any mail sent to her to move directly to her inbox. And any mail send to both of us (instead of putting both copies in her box) needs to go one to her box and one to stay in the inbox.

Thanks
    I am in the process of walking you through what it is that I think you are trying to accomplish. I will be posting it in a minute or two.
    Thanks John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was a long email and I appreciate it, but that didn't deal with the issue.
    BTW I am using Outlook version 2007.
    Right now all of my computers receive all 5 of my email accounts and they stay on the server. Mail sent to my work email goes to my work folder, email sent to her address is sent to her folder, etc. But when mail is sent to her and me together, there are two copies sent to her folder. I simply need a copy sent to her in her folder and the other one sent to me as it was intended.
    Is this possible using the rules function?

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No further comments on this?
    I get all mail fine on my computer including hers and she gets all her mail since it's set to keep mail on the server.
    Just need to get it to split up the emails when mail is sent in one email to both emails. Right now two copies go to her folder.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKZ View Post
    No further comments on this?
    I get all mail fine on my computer including hers and she gets all her mail since it's set to keep mail on the server.
    Just need to get it to split up the emails when mail is sent in one email to both emails. Right now two copies go to her folder.
    Do you have separate accounts setup in Outlook for each email address?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, separate email accounts. My Outlook actually even reads from 4 or 5 different accounts and they all go to the correct directory, but it doesn't like it when mail is sent to both me AND my wife since both of have an email account.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKZ View Post
    Yes, separate email accounts. My Outlook actually even reads from 4 or 5 different accounts and they all go to the correct directory, but it doesn't like it when mail is sent to both me AND my wife since both of have an email account.
    Try changing your rule to use the "through this account" option instead of the "TO:...".

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That didn't seem to work either. I think the problem is that I don't see a way to say if mail comes to x email AND another email account...as apposed to OR. The OR is all I can seem to set up.
    Plus it has an option for "if my name is in the to or cc", but sometimes my name isn't in their only my exact email address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast