Lounger
    Thanks
    Iíve noted on these boards, and at other sites, that many users who run Windows 7 have trouble with intermittent drops in Internet connectivity. In my own experience, the problem is only on systems on our network running Win7 and started only after Win7 was installed. Everything else remained exactly the same.

I have a Linksys WRT350N router, evidently a first version with a firmware date of May 2008, the most recent version. I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the router to end the complaints, but in searching the Linksys web site I see no mention of Win7 drivers or software. Supported operating systems go up to Vista only. Iím not going to upgrade unless I know that Linksys has written the software with Win7 in mind. I understand that theoretically if it works with Vista, it should work with Win7, but that has not been my experience. Iíd prefer to stick with Linksys since Iíve had good luck with the brand up to now, and all the adapters are Linksys. Hard to say a problem is with the other guyís hardware when itís all the same company.

Iíve been looking at recent articles for reports of new Linksys routers, but havenít seen anything where Iíve been looking. Does anyone use a recent Linksys wireless router (comparable to the WRT350N) that has reliable connectivity with Win7? Or know if/when Linksys is planning to introduce a new router?

Thanks in advance for the help./ cel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you will find that most of these issues are with the NIC or the Wireless device in the computer. On upgrades the "Generic" driver is used and the power savings settings may be dropping the connection. But one needs to check with the OEM of the NIC or Wireless device for a Windows 7 driver.

I am using a real old NetGear that I started using when 98 first came out and it works on my network with XP, Vista and Windows 7 machines online all the time. I have NOT updated the firmware, it is still running the factory copy.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave- Thanks for the ideas. I had read on these forums about updating drivers, and had tried that. However, 2 of the systems were Win7 out of the box. I would think that they had the optimal drivers. Also, one of the out-of-the-box Win7 systems is hard wired to the router. Iím told that that system does not drop the connection very much.

Updating my wireless driver on my system killed the connection entirely, so I rolled back to the (you were correct) default MS driver. Iíll try Linksys web site for a better driver later today.

Iím just thinking that the drivers that need to be updated are on the router, and they donít exist. However, I may be showing my network inexperience here if Win7 drivers on routers donít exist, per se, that firmware is the key. And my firmware way predates Win7 and I have no recourse there. Iím not that experienced that Iíd risk turning this router into a ďbrickĒ by fiddling with some of the open source firmware.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas/suggestions?/ cel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do not think that there are ANY drivers for any router on any machine. The drivers that the machines uses are for the NIC (Cat 5 connection) and Wireless device. These do need to be updated, but NOT from the Router OEM, but from the OEM of the pre built computer, or the OEM of the third party device that was installed.

The wireless interruption is normally of a power setting on the machine that has been dropped.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave-

OK then. I'll troubleshoot the connections from the individual systems to the router. Thanks for your help./ cel