Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I *think* I'm making some progress here, but now I'm a little confused (not too unusually!):

Outlook documentation that I can find says the data files should be in C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook, which is great since that is as 2007.

But when I set up an account and sent a test e-mail, it had its PST in C:\Users\CWBillow\Documents\Outlook Files. Yet it seems that it is also writing to files (not PST files, but XML etc.) in the original location as well.

Also, I had set up a couple of addresses, and Outlook seems to be creating/opening a PST for each address instead of one unified file.

Is there a way to get file default locations back to "2007-mode"? Is there a way to tell Outlook to use just one folder for all e-mail addresses?

Lastly, since 2010 doesn't seemingly use an outcmd.dat file, is it using (for instance) C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outloo k for the config files etc. as 2007 did?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have a look here, be sure to read it all including the lomnks on right side, http://blogs.msdn.com/outlook/

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Dave, thanks for the link.

I'm reading through the pages, but, two things:

I haven't seen anything as yet that talks about on how, if my PST from 2007 has several e-mail accounts built in, I am to mange all the e-mail: do I need to export it, or...? 'Cause I ended up with several PST's when I set up the e-mail accounts, but that is/was before I transferred over all my e-mail from 2007.

I've got the location issue down I believe, and, since when I back up I do it by partition, I can deal with config file locations as a separate issue as well, so all I need to resolve is the import/break up of the e-mail accounts and their respective mail.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    All I do is printout and/or save screen shots of my Accounts screens. I then enter that information, I do NOT trust ANY export of may accounts. The only thing I do is import my old PST into the new one and all of the PST data goes where it needs to go.

I then do my own customization as needed based on the new version.

Thanks
    Dave;

So if I import my PST from 2007 into 2010, it will bring all accounts into the same PST? will the dates remain the same, or will they uprate to the (current) date of the import?

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    NO, it will NOT bring in the accounts, you need to set them up as they are NOT part of the PST file.

Thanks
    Dave, so if I'm understanding what I'm reading and seeing (experimenting), if I import e-mail from a PST that in fact is addressed to several addresses (CWBillow, CBillow, ...), the mail DOES get imported into the correct folders, but, if there has no e-mail address (as yet) set up fore the "To" person in that e-mail, responding to it would be at best from the wrong account, and at worst, not happen or be rejected.

Secondly then, once I then set up the e-mail accounts for the various addresses contained in the PST just imported, will all e-mail to these addresses then come into the ONE PST, or will it still set up separate PST's for each address, meaning I would then need to move the e-mails to the correct PST?

I thought I saw something about setting up Outlook (2010) to only use one PST, but darned if I can recall where...

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is ONLY one pst file unless YOU have set it up.
    You MUST set up each of your email accounts and they will all use the same PST unless you add a different PST file, and I will NOT go there as you are lost already.

Thanks
    Dave,

I didn't!

All I did was import a group of messages (from several senders and to several people) from a single PST 2007 into 2010. 2010 then created a PST fro each address/recipient.

NOW you've got me worried, 'cause I don't know how it happened, and therefore how to stop it.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    There is ONLY one pst file unless YOU have set it up.
    You MUST set up each of your email accounts and they will all use the same PST unless you add a different PST file, and I will NOT go there as you are lost already.
    Dave, I've had multiple PSTs for some time (time period archives etc.) and I understand the opening and closing of them. What I didn't (and don't) understand is how I ended up with multiple PSTs.

I installed Outlook (2010), then, as previous posts will show, set up the e-mail accounts. I was all nice and happy. Then I was looking for the outcmd.dat file (previous post), and what did I find but a PST for each e-mail address. Based on that happening, and what you have said, I have to conclude that somehow in the address-setting-up process, I in fact set them up in different PSTs -- but I don't know where.

I just re-installed 2010, so I suppose that's what I'll watch out for.

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Dave, I've had multiple PSTs for some time (time period archives etc.) and I understand the opening and closing of them. What I didn't (and don't) understand is how I ended up with multiple PSTs.

I installed Outlook (2010), then, as previous posts will show, set up the e-mail accounts. I was all nice and happy. Then I was looking for the outcmd.dat file (previous post), and what did I find but a PST for each e-mail address. Based on that happening, and what you have said, I have to conclude that somehow in the address-setting-up process, I in fact set them up in different PSTs -- but I don't know where.
    I've always had that happen in Outlook going back at least as far as 2003 and maybe further.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I've always had that happen in Outlook going back at least as far as 2003 and maybe further.

Joe
    Joe, I never have. I was always able to set Outlook up, set up my addresses, and the only time it would set up separate PSTs was if the address was an IMAP instead of a POP. But these addresses are all POP addresses.

I suppose it's not the end of the world, but just a different way of working with my email. But I sure would like to know how/where that is controlled.

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have never had a new PST show up for any email account and I have been using Outlook since Outlook95.

We are running Outlook on 4 different machines and they all have several email accounts in the one PST file.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I guess my observation is because I've used a combination of account types pretty much no matter where I've had Outlook installed.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Dave/Joe;

I've been using (and yes, meddling with) Outlook since O 98, and this never has happened to me before.

Generally I was able to install Outlook (up to and including 2007), install my e-mail addresses via registry entry import, and then just import the mail.

This time, since the reg entry didn't seem to work (different location in the registry perhaps?) I entered the e-mail addresses by hand, opened up Outlook, sent a test e-mail from one address to another, which seemed to work, and then noticed, the next time I opened Outlook, that the Personal; Folders were there -- but one for each e-mail address. That's without importing any e-mail, but just using two of the addresses.

I guess I'll just try again... I would like to know where the e-mail addresses are stored in the registry now, though.

Regards,
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast