Thread: Emoticons Etc.

Thanks
    In the old forum layout it was pretty easy to add the country and state flags, but For the life of me I can't figure it out now.
    What am I missing here. I see some have figured it out.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'm not sure all the flags and smilies are readily available as before - perhaps one of the admins can give a link or path to where they are.

Thanks
    How did you get yours in there?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    How did you get yours in there?
    I have linked to an external image, which includes the line and the flag:

Code:
    Leif

(I included the line in the graphic as a convenient way of spacing it)

I'm not exactly sure, but I have an idea that you can not 'upload' smilies (including flags) into your signature. If you can find out the location of the flags, you could insert it in a similar way. I recall before WS that it was something like www.wopr.com/s/ - but I don't really know where or if they are stored anywhere accessible.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, they are there... No, they are not accessible the way Leif and I and many others are used to! The URL http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/ used to bring up a list of all smilies and flags from which you could select the one you wanted. NOW I get a nasty message that I don't have (~!@#$%^&) permission.

However, if you enter the COMPLETE URL to a flag or smilie (if you know what it is!), something like the following will work in your browser. I can't speak for signatures and so on:

Who knows what evil lurks in the minds and hearts of IPB configurators...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You can put smileys and flags in your signature, but they are now limited to one. Some loungers do have more than one image in their signature but I assume that these were set prior to the limitation being introduced.

My current signature:

Code:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    NOW I get a nasty message that I don't have (~!@#$%^&) permission.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the minds and hearts of IPB configurators...
    It is quite normal to forbid 'browsing' of a web folder/directory - I believe you have to set specific permissions to allow it.
    Would you want just anyone having the ability to browse through the entire folder structure of your web?

Thanks
    Perfect Thanks Al etal
    Thanks John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    For a list see these posts - flags and smilies

You can replace www.wopr.com with lounge.windowssecrets.com if you wish, but even if you don't they should still work and be automatically re-directed to lounge.windowssecrets.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    It is quite normal to forbid 'browsing' of a web folder/directory - I believe you have to set specific permissions to allow it.
    Would you want just anyone having the ability to browse through the entire folder structure of your web?
    Oh but it has CHANGED in recent times. For all these years, that "S" folder was always open for browsing, whatever the permissions settings were (I don't know). But many of us have had it bookmarked for a long, long time for manual use of a smilie or flag.