Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    First - why was Lounge Matters moved to "Other Technologies" when it is called Lounge Matters? Shouldn't it be located in the "The Lounge" area to make sense in placement of this forum?

Second: Please see the attached snapshot. The first two pics show: a PM with a red X beside it, and the commands at the bottom of the PM that I see when I want to reply to it. So even though I am already logged in, I log in again. It doesn't help.

The second two pics which are accessed while I am still in the same visit to the "Message" area show: a PM with a little icon by it, and it also gives me commands at the bottom so I can reply to the PM. So the question is: Why do I see a red X by a PM <this is the second PM that's happened this way to me> and have the message pop up telling me I have to log in to reply to it, when I am already logged in?

Thank you for any replies and help! If what I've written about the PMs doesn't make sense, ask me to explain again, and I'll do my ""bestest"" to comply!

[attachment=87813:weird.jpg]

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you get that error when the person who sent you the PM has deleted it from their message store, so you can't reply to them any more. Even if you click the button and sign in again it won't help, the software assumes the problem is that you haven't logged in - but it's wrong.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    I think you get that error when the person who sent you the PM has deleted it from their message store, so you can't reply to them any more. Even if you click the button and sign in again it won't help, the software assumes the problem is that you haven't logged in - but it's wrong.
    I'll ask the sender whether s/he deleted their PM and get back to you. I don't believe s/he did but I won't know until I ask them.......

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you get that error when the person who sent you the PM has deleted it from their message store, .
    Er, I think I'm one of the offenders.
    I did a slew of PM'ing this day, and accidentally noticed that a message folder was 100% full(*), so I set about cleaning it up, but possibly deleted the whole thing.
    I still miss the old "Delete PMs after 14 days" setting.

(*)If only I didn't have so many friends ....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    First - why was Lounge Matters moved to "Other Technologies" when it is called Lounge Matters? Shouldn't it be located in the "The Lounge" area to make sense in placement of this forum?
    I agree.
    I have almost given up on trying to find things now; it seems that the forums are being moved around like musical chairs.
    I was PMing with HeyJude and realised that I'd advised her to post something in a forum that no longer existed.
    (I mean, to post "these kind of questions publicly" where we can all benefit from our pooled wisdom)
    We no longer have a place where we (all) can post innocent questions about how/what to do.
    I am left feeling that I can't help newcomers any more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    I agree.
    I have almost given up on trying to find things now; it seems that the forums are being moved around like musical chairs.
    I was PMing with HeyJude and realised that I'd advised her to post something in a forum that no longer existed.
    (I mean, to post "these kind of questions publicly" where we can all benefit from our pooled wisdom)
    We no longer have a place where we (all) can post innocent questions about how/what to do.
    I am left feeling that I can't help newcomers any more.
    I was PMing with HeyJude
    but it was in the AM so wouldn't ya call it AMing

You are a great teacher. Now to achieve some sort of "status"

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    Er, I think I'm one of the offenders.
    I did a slew of PM'ing this day, and accidentally noticed that a message folder was 100% full(*), so I set about cleaning it up, but possibly deleted the whole thing.
    I still miss the old "Delete PMs after 14 days" setting.

(*)If only I didn't have so many friends ....
    Stuart was right about you.......How could you????......I am crushed! Smashed! Totally greaved! <sp intended!> .....I see how you are. At least that explains the BIG RED X by the PM in question and why I couldn't reply to it properly!

Hopefully, the other part of my post of two questions can also be addressed. It is confusing trying to find this place for Lounge problems when it is listed under a weird area.....Other Technologies doesn't fit this forum at all - IMHO of course.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart - you were right on the mark about the deleted PM. He's confessed. See this post for the explanation about it.
    Thanks for your response.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart - you were right on the mark about the deleted PM. He's confessed. See this post for the explanation about it.
    You just can't get the quality of staff nowadays. I suspect his annual bonus will be affected by this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's what may be an interesting twist on the deleted PMs problem. In the case where one sees the red X (answered by Stuart) if you look in the upper left corner while viewing that "conversation," you should see the following:

[attachment=87819:2010-01-18_073105.png]

However, in the (usually) rare instance where the "other party" has NEVER READ the PM you will not see the red X and looking in the upper left corner you will see this:

[attachment=87820:2010-01-18_073143.png] . . . (meaning he/she has deleted the message without reading it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    . . . (meaning he/she has deleted the message without reading it.)
    Or possibly that they have deleted (left) the conversation and since that time other replies have been made to it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Or possibly that they have deleted (left) the conversation and since that time other replies have been made to it.
    Possibly. But, in my examples I was using two one-on-one conversations where no one else was involved.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    Now to achieve some sort of "status"
    ... most easily accomplished by taking what you've learned and passing it on to someone else!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart was right about you.......How could you????......I am crushed! Smashed!
    Does this mean that you won't be my Friend anymore

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect his annual bonus will be affected by this.
    I suspect that if I'm not more careful, this year's LIFE will be cut short!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast