Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    Does this mean that you won't be my Friend anymore
    If that is what you hope happens............it will cut down the load in my message box and then I won't experience red X's anymore. I do get that message.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    [snip]
    However, in the (usually) rare instance where the "other party" has NEVER READ the PM you will not see the red X and looking in the upper left corner you will see this:

[attachment=87820:2010-01-18_073143.png] . . . (meaning he/she has deleted the message without reading it.)
    Al,
    I agree that there is some more information to find, as you say, in the upper left corner.

But I would not say that "Has left the conversation" means the other party has not read the PM.

As you point out, in this version (3) of the IP.Board software, it is “Conversations”, several PMs in one conversation. You don't "CC", you invite etc.

I have conversations where the "other party" must have read my PM, since they have replied to it; i.e. one PM from me and a reply from the "other party" and nothing more in the conversation, and it can say "Has left the conversation". So I would definitely not say it only means that they "deleted the message without reading it". Also, a red X is what other see when you as a sender have decided to delete the conversation.

I think it is like this:
    Every participant, apart from the one who started the conversation, can leave it at any time. For some time I wondered what that was, no "button" to leave, but that is deleting.

The person who started the conversation (and other participants, if several) will see "Has left the conversation" and the member name in italic type, as in the case I mentioned above.

On the other hand; if the person who started the conversation decides to delete it, other participants will see a red cross, meaning the starter has deleted it, as mentioned by Stuart, and inside the conversation: Unavailable: Topic Deleted.

Apart from that, for anyone who has old PMs, left from before version 3, before "Conversations", they could perhaps see a red cross for old PMs when they wasn't "sender"/could also be deleted on the other end, as above.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    But I would not say that "Has left the conversation" means the other party has not read the PM.
    Careful of my "careful" grammar, Argus. I didn't say that. I said if the recipient DOES NOT read the PM and then deletes it, you will not see the red X.

In this case, a personal thing with someone, it was a PM I sent before Christmas and checked periodically, noting that the recipient had never read the message until I got the "...left the conversation..." notation.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Careful of my "careful" grammar, Argus. I didn't say that. I said if the recipient DOES NOT read the PM and then deletes it, you will not see the red X.
    [snip]
    Hello Al,
    Yes I think I read it carefully, and I ought to do that, since you are careful with what you write, I know. However, I didn't write the same at two places in my post, and you quoted the first one.

"But I would not say that "Has left the conversation" means the other party has not read the PM." That was meant as an introduction to the rest of the message, perhaps not so well worded, but it should be read with the rest of the post.

In the second I said: "So I would definitely not say it only means that they "deleted the message without reading it"."
    You now say:
    I said if the recipient DOES NOT read the PM and then deletes it, you will not see the red X.
    That is true, very true, and I have nothing to say about that part. As I mentioned in one of the cases in the above post, and as mentioned initially by Stuart, you will never see a red X, unless you were on the receiving end and the sender deleted the conversation. So that is true, nothing else is to be expected; the sender/initiator of the conversation can delete it and that will generate a red x at all recipients; a recipient, on the other hand (or should that be on the other end), can leave a conversation, and that generates the message: "Has left the conversation". I have never said anything else. If the recipient doesn't read it and deletes the PM, or reads it and then deletes it, doesn't matter, there will be no red x since you were the sender.

However, you had two slightly different statements in your post:

However, in the (usually) rare instance where the "other party" has NEVER READ the PM you will not see the red X and looking in the upper left corner you will see this:
    And then after the image "Has left the conversation", you wrote this:
    . . . (meaning he/she has deleted the message without reading it.)
    It is the last statement I commented in my reply; "Has left the conversation" does not only mean that they "deleted the message without reading it"; note that I said "not only", since I have not tested or seen all cases, and I thought about that: 'what happens if they delete it in the New folder, unread', thus I wrote in the above post "I would definitely not say it only means ..."; this was as a comment to your words after the last image in your post. That is: I wanted to say that just because you (someone) see: “Has left the conversation” it doesn’t mean the recipient never read it (deleted it, yes, obviously since it says “Has left...”). It could be the case (but I have not tested it), but it could also be the much more common case: they read it and deleted it.

So, I said what did to add an alternative explanation (to “meaning he/she has deleted the message without reading it”) when seeing that in a conversation.

I hope I have explained my bad choice of words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12