Pleasanton CA
    Having made the jump from XP to 7, I am now feeling my way around the interface. Here is one issue that I discovered early on: loss of preferred access to my Start Menu items. I think I can trace most of my disagreements to the new feature that sorts items based on the first letter I type. For instance, if I press Start + A, it creates a small menu with all of the items that begin with the letter A.

That comes at the expense of Start + A giving me instant access to my Favorites folder, and that is a compromise that I am unwilling to accept. Same with Start + P for the entire Programs list, and any items I pin to the Start Menu.

So I am inquiring as to whether I can disable the key sorting that takes place after invoking Start or whether there is an alternate route to creating instant, two-keystroke access to the items that I reach for most often.

I think I'm going to like Windows 7, but this keyboard junkie doesn't want his OS getting in the way of what I already know to be the fastest possible access to my preferred activities. Thanks...

Rick A.
    Pleasanton CA
    Rick Altman
    Author, "Why Most PowerPoint Presentations Suck...and how you can make them better"
    Pleasanton CA

Here is a fairly complete list of Win 7 keyboard shortcuts

Create new keyboard shortcuts

Create desktop shortcuts

I hope these help you. Welcome to Windows 7
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy