3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Word 2007. I would like to set the ® symbol to always be superscripted, but within the Insert>Symbols>Symbol window, I don't see any settings option that allow me this, only AutoCorret, Shortcut Key..., Symbols, and Special Characters. Anyone?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Insert Symbol dialog doesn't give you any option to superscript the symbol, but you could as a workaround either save a superscripted symbol as an autotext, or use a macro like this:

Code:
    Sub InsertSuperscriptedTrademarkSymbol()
       With Selection
          .InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=174, Unicode:=True, Bias:=0
          .MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
          .Font.Superscript = True
          .MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
       End With
    End Sub
    Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    Using Word 2007. I would like to set the ® symbol to always be superscripted, but within the Insert>Symbols>Symbol window, I don't see any settings option that allow me this, only AutoCorret, Shortcut Key..., Symbols, and Special Characters. Anyone?
    I'm using Word 2003, and I can't do 'always', but I just went into superscript then inserted the ® symbol...

I tested it by typing 3rd, whereupon it changed to 3rd, and I inserted the ® between the r and the d, as in 3r®d. Then one can remove the bits you don't want!

© BATcher™ 2010®
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    The Insert Symbol dialog doesn't give you any option to superscript the symbol, but you could as a workaround either save a superscripted symbol as an autotext, or use a macro like this:
    That sounds like a good solution. I have inserted saved a superscripted ® symbol as auto text but am wondering if there's an easier way to select the ® symbol other than going to my quick access toolbar, autotext, and then selecting the symbol. Basically, one step instead of three or four would be preferable.

Thanks again for the tip, though.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ben000,
    Don't forget that Style matters too.

The default for the (r) auto text is superscript if is in the "Normal" style, but in line if it is in any of the Headings and most of the other test styles.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have to say I don't know why there isn't a superscript ® symbol in the list of Word 2007 symbols when there is a superscript ™ symbol.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this.

Go to the Insert Tab
    Choose Symbol / More Symbols...
    In the Subset dropdown choose Superscripts and Subscripts
    On the Special Characters tab scroll down and find the Registered entry
    Click on AutoCorrect...
    Assign [s]your shortcut[/s] the text you want to replace with the symbol in the Replace box.
    Ok out of the AutoCorrect
    Cancel the Symbol box.
    Test your [s]shortcut[/s] Auto Correction.

I got the ® to be superscripted in all Styles using the new [s]shortcut[/s] Auto Correct entry. You can also replace the (r) [s]shortcut[/s] Auto Correct entry as well if you don't want to add a new entry to the list.

edited for clarity - term "Shortcut" incorrectly used.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your tip, but it doesn't work for me- are you using Word 2007? The first problem is that the ® symbol doesn't appear in the list of superscripts and subscripts in the Symbols Subset tab, but instead appears in the Latin-1 Supplement Subset tab. Next, it is not possible to assign a shortcut within the AutoCorrect tab- only to tell Word to replace certain text with the symbol as I type (which I don't want to do), or to set Execptions or choose the Math AutoCorrect tab. Additionally, there is already a shortcut for the ® symbol, that of Alt+Ctrl+A, which is fine with me. The problem isn't shortcutting per se, but it is the fact that I cannot see how to get Word to make all instances of ® superscripted. I'm curious how your steps above accomplished this, given the specific difficulties I had being able to implement them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your tip, but it doesn't work for me- are you using Word 2007?
    Yes

The first problem is that the ® symbol doesn't appear in the list of superscripts and subscripts in the Symbols Subset tab, but instead appears in the Latin-1 Supplement Subset tab.
    I didn't say it did exist on the list. I said to change the subset to superscripts and subscripts and go to the SpecialCharacter Tab.

Next, it is not possible to assign a shortcut within the AutoCorrect tab- only to tell Word to replace certain text with the symbol as I type
    Okay - Shortcut should have been alternate text or text to be replaced

Additionally, there is already a shortcut for the ® symbol, that of Alt+Ctrl+A
    The actual shortcut combo is Atl+Ctrl+R

The problem isn't shortcutting per se, but it is the fact that I cannot see how to get Word to make all instances of ® superscripted.
    Adding it as an Auto-Text Correction is the only way I can see to get it to happen all of the time. Or waiting until you are finished your document and have a macro scan the document and change all of the ®s to be superscripted.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey mbarron,

Thanks for your follow up. My bad re: Alt+Ctrl+A- yeah, it should be R.

What I meant to say is taht I don't have any text I want the superscript ® symbol to replace, other than that of the non-superscript ® symbol, of course. Within the steps you provided, the "Assign your shortcut the text you want to replace with the symbol in the Replace box." step seems to be what I need, and I have entered the ® symbol into the Replace field. Within the With field, I want to have the ® symbol, but with the superscript format assigned. There is a Plain Text and Formatted Text option circle I can choose from, but no formatting options I can adjust for the Formatted Text circle. As it stands now, following your instructions still doesn't result in a superscripted ® symbol, so maybe I'm doing something wrong or there's an additional Word setting I need to make?

I did save a superscripted ® symbol into my auto text gallery, but to my dismay, opening a different Word document sees the ® symbol no longer available in the auto text gallery, leading me to believe that the addition was applicable only to the specific Word document I was working in.

One question I didn't ask if if this would be a global Word 2007 command, or would only apply to that specific document I had open and made these settings in. Obviously, the former is what I am aiming for, so if I need to enable to "apply all" command, that would be helpful to know about.