Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have inherited this database to make some alterations.
    I hve noticed there are tables with fields defined as a Lookup.
    What are the main objections of having tables with fields like this?

I personally do not like them as i have to try and remember what the field's datatype is when using it for looking up values in other tables.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been googling and have found the following that quite justifies to me NOT to use them in tables.

http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When a field is created using the Lookup wizard, the Display Control is set to be a combo box. Usually this results in the actual stored value being in the first column , with a column width of zero.

Most of the problems (as per the article you linked to) are related to the zero column width. Simply setting the first column width to some value greater than zero reveals the true contents of the field, and so overcomes most of the drawbacks.

If you are going to display the field value via a combo box, then setting the Display Type as a combo at the table level can save some work as this will be inherited whenever the field is added to a form. Even when I want to use a zero width first column on forms, I would not do so at the table level.

Added later: So if I find myself in your situation - working on a db that has lookups in the tables, the only change I make is to increase the column width of the zero width columns.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In addition to John's comments, our general thrust is to not have users looking at tables - EVER! So using lookups in a table design is something we never use - I find it total confusing in addtion to the overhead it presents. For the hobbist who is creating a database of their music collection it is a convience, but for production database work it should never be used.
    Wendell