5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just acquired a new Dell machine running Windows 7 Home Premium and have noticed that I have two folders for "program" files. One is simply called Program Files and the other is called Program Files (x86). Can someone explain, in relatively simple terms why there are two Folders with very similar names. One of the reason I am asking is that I noticed that Adobe has placed one 64-bit app (Photoshop Elements) in the "x86" folder and another 64-bit app (Lightroom 2.6) in the plain Program Files folder. Both are in an Adobe subfolder within the respective top-level folders. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    Typically, but not always, the 32 bit apps will go to the x86 programs folder. Most of the apps I have installed will go to the
    x 86 by default...unless they are true 64 bit apps, then they will go to the "programs" folder.

There are apps that say they are "windows 7, 64 bit compatible", but what they really mean is that they
    are just 32 bit apps that are capable of running on the 64 bit platform. They will go to the x86 folder.

So, if your looking for true 64 bit apps to take advantage of your 64 bit os with it's extended memory
    capabilities, remember to look very closely at the application in question to see whether it's actually been writen
    in 64 bit code and not just 32 bit apps that are compatible with the 64 bit os.

I have at least 1 app that will only work if the main dll is installed to the wow64 folder, and it's 16/32 bit, so go figure.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint. This helps me to understand what is going on here in these Program Folders. I appreciate the explanation. It may account for why Adobe installer puts Photoshop Elements 8 in the "x86" folder and Lightroom in the plain Program Files folder. Adobe says the Photoshop Elements 8 is Windows 7 compatible, from what you have told me it would appear that it is still written in 32-bit code that just happens to be able to run under Win7's 64-bit OS. Lightroom 2.6. on the other hand is supposed to be a true 64-bit application - not sure if it really is, but that's what people are saying.

Regards,

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is indeed this sort of "messy accounting system" that is a necessary part of Win 7 (and Vista) 64-bit operating systems. There are far more 32-bit application programs than 64-bit application programs. Sometimes you will get autogenerated shortcut errors indicating the pathway does not exist but its just becasue Win 7 used the wrong path as default, but no other problems as far as I know.

Thanks
    Not only is there a difference in folders in windows explorer, but this is carried over into the registry. There is also a WOW registry entry that, for example, has another Run area where S/W is often placed by S/W developers. There are now 3 of these Run areas in the registry. With a little time spent exploring Win 7 this folder layout seems to make sence, especially as time goes on and more 64 bit S/W becomes available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy