Thanks
    If I have a document in Word that has fields (Name, address etc.), every time I go to "Print", the fields act up like they need to be filled again), giving me the prompts for each field. Is there a way once the fields are filled in to have it not request fill-ins any longer? Like a bibliography, if it could be done while still keeping the fields "active" in case changes need to be made, that would surely be preferable.

I show this as 2010 as well as 2007. It did this in 2007, and does the very same thing in 2010, so it must be either something I'm missing, or a quirk in the program.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Based on quick tests (in Word 2002 and Word 2007), this appears to be a function of whether you have 'Update fields before printing' set. (In Word 2007, you access this setting via: Office Button > Word Options > Display > Printing Options.

If you have this setting checked, then fill-in fields are going to reprompt the user, every time they print.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Chuck,

Based on quick tests (in Word 2002 and Word 2007), this appears to be a function of whether you have 'Update fields before printing' set. (In Word 2007, you access this setting via: Office Button > Word Options > Display > Printing Options.

If you have this setting checked, then fill-in fields are going to reprompt the user, every time they print.

Gary
    Gary, I just checked them/it, and the box is cleared.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry to say, don't have any other ideas, other than to ask whether you have any add-ins running that might be intercepting the Print command (and adding additional commands such as Fields.Update) - a longshot, but worth asking.

Other than that, is it possible for you to attach a copy of the document - with any private information removed - so that others may take a look?

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try unprotecting the document before you print. I've run across forms that exhibit this same behavior while protected, but once unprotected allow the replaced information in the field to print.

If that doesn't work, instead of filling the prompted information in within the field, simply replace the field with the needed information.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Try unprotecting the document before you print. I've run across forms that exhibit this same behavior while protected, but once unprotected allow the replaced information in the field to print.

If that doesn't work, instead of filling the prompted information in within the field, simply replace the field with the needed information.
    Thanks Samantha, I'll give it a shot.

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post

Hi Samantha,

Document forms protection is not applicable to FILLIN fields - that protection only applies to formfields.

Replacing the FILLIN field with the information doesn't satisfy Chuck's need to be able to edit the field contents at a later time - plus it risks destroying any cross-refefrences he might be using (assuming the field is bookmarked).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Gary, I just checked them/it, and the box is cleared.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

If the 'update fields before printing' option is unchecked, and the fields are updating regardless, then I'd suggest your Word installation has a fault. You could try checking then unchecking that option (with a print in between) to see if that fixes the problem; otherwise a repair might be in order (Word Options|Resources|Diagnose).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I'll give that a shot. Thanks macropod,

Regards,
    Chuck