New Lounger
    Thanks
    Detailed quotation of this post removed & converted to link for thread clarity

Sorry if I'm doing this cockeyed, it's my first post. I have been using True Image for several years all the way through TI Home 2009 and recently someone pointed me to Macrium Reflect Free edition. I have used it to image both WinXP Pro and Win7 drives. It works like a charm and it's free and it's faster than TI. It has no problem seeing images on external usb drives outside of Windows from the restore CD which is based on Linux and can even be installed on a usb key. I have done one restore on a test laptop and everything went without a hitch. I would also like to caution anyone trying to partition a new drive with Acronis DDS 10 prior to doing a clean Win7 install. The install will go through its routine normally but the partition will not be bootable. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. Had to erase that partition and let Windows reformat before reinstalling. Perhaps a different flavor of NTFS in Win 7 ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fritschi View Post
    Sorry if I'm doing this cockeyed, it's my first post. I have been using True Image for several years all the way through TI Home 2009 and recently someone pointed me to Macrium Reflect Free edition. I have used it to image both WinXP Pro and Win7 drives. It works like a charm and it's free and it's faster than TI. It has no problem seeing images on external usb drives outside of Windows from the restore CD which is based on Linux and can even be installed on a usb key. I have done one restore on a test laptop and everything went without a hitch. I would also like to caution anyone trying to partition a new drive with Acronis DDS 10 prior to doing a clean Win7 install. The install will go through its routine normally but the partition will not be bootable. It took me a while to figure out what was happening. Had to erase that partition and let Windows reformat before reinstalling. Perhaps a different flavor of NTFS in Win 7 ?
    Looks like it has good reviews.
    "I'm never in denial." -- D. Rhine

Thanks
    I just got Acronis True Image Home 2010 for $40. This is a $10 discount for the download version. The first backup Image on my PC was approx 25GB and took 8 minutes. I used the built in Win 7 Back Up app which took approx 3-4 times as long. Both apps were able to create a rescue disk. Obviously the Win 7 option is cheaper (free), but is slower and has no where near the features of Acronis. I have not begun to check all the features available with the ATI spftware. For my moiney, this seems to be the better option for me.

I tried the free version of Macrium and did not like the interface.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't see a free version of Macrium. Please point to us to the files?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    I can't see a free version of Macrium. Please point to us to the files?

cheers, Paul

Check it out here
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy