New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks,
    I've loaded windows 7 onto a 4 GB USB stick, using Woody Leonhard 's " Install Windows 7 many times from one USB drive'.
    But, I get "can't install to disk 0 " insufficient space ".
    Disk 0 is 3.8 GB , I'm guessing that there is enough space for the starter version of windows 7.
    I'm guessing some file needs to be modified .
    Anyone have an idea?

Peter

Thanks
    I'm not sure if a 4 GB flash drive would have enough space for anything but the starter edition. You may want to try a larger flash drive. At the prices flash area available, try getting a larger flash drive. I would personally go as large as I can find. Can you add a link to the article by Woody. I remember reading it but can not find it to review.

I have found many articles about doing this, see this article as an example.

All the postings state that 4 GB is the minimum size. That's like MS stating these are the minimum requirements on a HDD. Minimum is just that
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Peter and welcome

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit from microsoft is about 3.3 gigs, the 32 bit is 2.5 gigs. Do you have a non MS image? if so all yoou need to do is extract the image, and remove something useless like some help files. Then compress back to an ISO using something like image burn

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody's article was in :

Windows Secrets Newsletter Issue 226 2010-01-07

If all I need is 2.5 GB for the starter version of Windows 7 , I should be able to load it on to my solid state HD.
    So, there must be a file that makes sure one has room for the biggest version of windows 7.
    Woody must know about this , is there any way of getting him to look at the problem?

Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Yes, I've used that procedure to load the beta version of Windows 7,
    but Woody has outlined a simpler procedure , if you have a copy of the 7 on a CD,
    which I have .
    Both the beta and the released versions fit on a 4 GB stick.

Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ken,

The error message I'm getting says that 5.6 GB is required.
    That is the message from the Win 7 install software.
    I don't think that is correct, so I'm thinking there must be a file I can modify.
    Also, why would win 7 report such a large number, if all versions require a lot less?

Peter

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I just looked further at Woody's article. Perhaps when I get the opportunity I will try this. I did save the article to refer to later. When I try it I will repost if my results warrant this. Thanks.

This is one of those things that, let's say you are away from home, and disaster strikes, if all else fails you can use the flash for an attempt at recovery as well, even when your Win 7 DVD and image are home. Very nice.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petergmauro View Post
    The error message I'm getting says that 5.6 GB is required.
    That is the message from the Win 7 install software.
    I don't think that is correct, so I'm thinking there must be a file I can modify.
    Also, why would win 7 report such a large number, if all versions require a lot less?
    The install files that fit on the 4GB flash drive are highly compressed. Microsoft says you need 16GB free disk space to install Windows 7. Ted linked yo to Windows 7 System Requirements earlier. This is not SKU specific so it applies to all versions of Windows 7.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The install files that fit on the 4GB flash drive are highly compressed. Microsoft says you need 16GB free disk space to install Windows 7. Ted linked yo to Windows 7 System Requirements earlier. This is not SKU specific so it applies to all versions of Windows 7.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks, what does " SKU " stand for?
    I was under the impression that the " starter " version , would run on a netbook, with with a lot less memory required.

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Thanks, what does " SKU " stand for?
    I was under the impression that the " starter " version , would run on a netbook, with with a lot less memory required.
    SKU = Stock Keeping Unit = version such as Start, Home Premium, Professional, etc.

"Starter" will run on a lesser machine. That does not mean it will take less disk space. RAM is different than disk space.

Microsoft (and most vendors) are notorious for giving the barest of minimums when stating system requirements. Usually you should exceed those minimums for an optimal experience. Hard disk space stated is for the operating system only not for an application programs.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks,
    I've loaded windows 7 onto a 4 GB USB stick, using Woody Leonhard 's " Install Windows 7 many times from one USB drive'.
    Disk 0 is 3.8 GB , I'm guessing that there is enough space for the starter version of windows 7.
    Anyone have an idea?

Peter

You could try 'win to flash' that sets up a flash drive as a bootable drive and copies the contents from a windows install CD/DVD.
    I have done it with win7 home premium 32bit and 64bit each fit easily on a 4GB stick.
    Can get it from here

http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/0,39100207,39544713s,00.htm

Hope this helps.
    Clive
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Hi Folks,
    Anyone have an idea?
    You must be trying to install to a 4GB SSD? If so, you'll need to study something like the Windows 7 RTM (32 & 64 Bit) *UPDATED*, Feature Removal & Optimization Guide to shrink 7 small enough, you'd probably need to use extreme settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clive ,
    Yes, I did that , and I have a bootable 4 GB USB stick.
    It works on a netbook with lots of Solid State Hard Drive, 16 GB, but , not on a smaller SSD 4 GB netbook.

Andy,

That's it , just what I was looking for.
    I haven't digested the whole article, but, that's what I'm tring to do .
    So, thanks,

Peter