3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone. I'm attaching a saved instance of perfmon and would like your thoughts. Mostly I'm reading memory items because I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with event ID's 333 and 2020. Anyway, I setup the server this past weekend to notify me via e-mail when certain things happen and I received an e-mail this morning telling me something was going on. I RDP'd into the server and took a look at Task Manager and found the store.exe process was using about 650 MB of memory (this seems to be normal, or at least this is what it's usually at), and then I saw another program, sqlservr.exe, using almost 900 MB of memory. This one I haven't seen before, or at least not using this much memory. Granted, I don't generally monitor this server and am only called in to assist when there's a problem, but I setup the e-mail notification over this past weekend "just because". I know the program using almost 900 MB of memory is related to SQL server but what I want from you all is to give me your interpretation of this one "screen shot". I'm not a perfmon expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm definitely a newbie to this tool. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To give much help we will need to know what version of server software is running (2000, 2003, 2008, SBS, etc.) and what apps are running. It must be running some version of SQL Server, but is Exchange Server also running? And some idea of disk space available and RAM would help too.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    To give much help we will need to know what version of server software is running (2000, 2003, 2008, SBS, etc.) and what apps are running. It must be running some version of SQL Server, but is Exchange Server also running? And some idea of disk space available and RAM would help too.
    Thanks for the reply, WendellB. I apologize for not providing this info in my original post. The server is running Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 and SQL server 2005. It's also running VIPRE Enterprise and VIPRE Antivirus for Exchange, a few accounting packages, such as Quicken and FileCabinet. The server acts as a file server, DNS server, DHCP server, etc. It's the only server in the small business and they have a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory network. There is plenty of disk space. The C: drive has 50 GB and the E: drive has 110 GB. Their disk space doesn't change much - it's been that way for months.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As I understand it the 333 event is usually an indication you are short on memory in the server, and can come from several causes. One question is whether they really need SQL Server, and if they do whether they need that much memory allocated to it. Or you might consider adding more RAM to the server.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi WendellB. That's my understanding of event ID 333 as well. Apparently they do need SQL server for one or more of the accounting applications. I'll have to look into how to limit the memory allocation. However, adding memory is something I'm wondering about. I know there's an issue with 32-bit OS's and more than 3 GB of RAM. If we install an additional gig of RAM the OS might see anywhere from 3.25 to 3.75, at least that's my understanding of how it works. So the question is will adding 1 more GB of RAM really have a positive impact or not?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would start by reducing the maximum amount of RAM that SQL Server can allocate - it may slow the accounting apps a bit, but should be workable. If you're not into SQL Server, it is one of the setting you can modify when you inspect the server properties in SQL Server Management Studio. It may take a bit of experimenting to get the right setting, but it isn't usually too painful. You might also look at the minimum amount - that may be forcing it to allocate 900 MB.

On adding another GB or RAM, that's sort of a crap shoot - we recently upgraded a server from 2GB to 4GB and it made a fairly substantial improvement in the responsiveness of the server. But the design of the server hardware and other issues can impact the issue as well. If tuning SQL Server doesn't help then I would try it - RAM is pretty inexpensive these days.
    Wendell

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows 32 bit will happily address 4GB, allocating 2GB for the server and 2GB for apps. Unfortunately SQL server will consume as much as it can and rarely gives it back, so setting max memory in SQL server may help. Exchange is in the same boat as SQL, but it should use less memory, especially if the load is low.
    If the problem is apps running low then adding extra will help - adding extra always helps, up to 4GB.
    If the OS is running low you need to check if the "/3GB" switch is set in BOOT.INI. If it is, remove it and stick to the defaults as there is no point starving the OS of the thing it needs most.

cheers, Paul