Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just started using Outlook 2007 and want to synchronize contact lists and calendars between my laptop and desktop on an ongoing basis. The only options I find in Outlook Help require you to be using MS Exchange Server, to upload your calendar to a website, to e-mail a snapshot to yourself, or to export/import as an iCalendar file or csv file. Is there a simple, straightforward way to synchronize calendars and contacts between my two computers without having to buy a third part program, such as EZOutlookSynch?

Thank you,
    Terry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Outlook at work, Gmail at home and a Droid in the field. Sync'ing all these devices is not easy, especially when it comes to contacts. I have found many folk trying to do the same thing and a lot are turning to Google as a intermediary. I know you said you don't want to buy a third party program, I tried to do it using free methods as well but never found a good solution to handle contacts and calendars. There are some online services like 'soocial' and another that I can't remember right now but they each had their problems. I ended up buying a program from CompanionLink which works really well. Anyway, consider using Google in the middle, so you are looking for Outlook to Google sync programs.

Richard
    www.rickybee.com

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TMorse View Post
    I ... want to synchronize contact lists and calendars between my laptop and desktop on an ongoing basis. The only options I find in Outlook Help require you to be using MS Exchange Server, to upload your calendar to a website, to e-mail a snapshot to yourself, or to export/import as an iCalendar file or csv file. Is there a simple, straightforward way to synchronize calendars and contacts between my two computers without having to buy a third party program?
    Terry, the short answer is no, no simple and free solution I have found. Certainly not the way you can synch a PDA or mobile device with Outlook. It's doubly annoying when you realize that it would probably take very little for MS to add pst-to-pst capability to their own Windows Mobile ActiveSynch software. I have used Richard Blackman's advice, to use Google as an intermediary, and that works, but it's still not as simple as a synching a mobile device.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use airset.com to synchronize outlook on 5 different computers. I can also see and edit contact and calendar data on the airset website. It's free and has proven to be reliable over years and years now. It has only gotten better through time. Airset also has a paid service to allow syncing with smartphones over the air. I don't use that. I use Win 7 mobile device manager stuff to sync 1 computer with my phone.

Jeff

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to everyone who replied.

It is an astonishing oversight (if it is an oversight). Surely Microsoft employees need to synchronize calendars and contacts between desktop and laptop, just like the rest of us. You'd think simple self-interest would have led MS to build synchronization into the program.

I've got to grasp at this one last straw: is there a way to do it using SyncToy? If so, what file(s) would I need to copy?

Thanks,
    Terry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TMorse View Post
    I've got to grasp at this one last straw: is there a way to do it using SyncToy? If so, what file(s) would I need to copy?
    You can use SyncToy to overwrite your PST, but that means changes in one will be overwritten by the "sent" PST file.

(And if it's important, remember that there are commercial solutions you can buy.)
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    if your email server allows MAPI connections, you create your account in Outlook 2007 as a MAPI account. Then, under Send/Receive, you choose Send/Receive settings, then define send/receive groups, edit the account, and you can choose to "synchronize" your calendar and contacts.

this only works if you have not been connecting to your email account via POP3, which would have removed the messages from the server, so you could not "synchronize" with the local client.

Lounger
    Thanks
    an oversight, perhaps, but then Microsoft are catering for the masses with corporate email requirements, and they all have Exchange Server running, and Outlook is their client. Its only an issue for those of us using Outlook as a personal mail client, that the inconvenience of not having an Exchange server at home becomes apparent. Wait till you add a Blackberry to the mix, it gets even funnier.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain MacMillan View Post
    Microsoft are catering (to) ... corporate email requirements, and they all have Exchange Server running, and Outlook is their client.
    You got that right; though I like Outlook it has a LOT of annoyances. Just my opinion, but MS is missing a market opportunity; if Outlook on Exchange and Outlook on other servers for use as a standalone client had no-brainer one-or-two-click syncing tools, they could really lock Outlook in as the tool corporate users want to have at home, and that would get them more consumer sales of Office (from folks who use OpenOffice and Thunderbird at home, as I have been tempted to do).
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used a product called OSASync from www.viata.com for many years. There is a free version, that will synchronize contacts and calendars on up to 3 (I think) computers. I use the paid version that allows the syncing of any outlook item or folder. If you have access to an FTP account, it also allows you to sync via FTP whilst traveling. This enables my wife and I to keep our Calendars and all our Outlook data completely in sync, even when I'm away from home.

roger