Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 on a second hard drive for dual boot with XP

I have a program that I moved over to Windows 7 and the program works fine but it can't find the data files in the folder AAAA SITE because they are in a different location on Windows 7 then they were in XP.

Below is the path where they are now on each system.
    My question is, how do I get the program to access the files on Windows 7 ?

This is where they are on Windows 7: C:\USERS\WINDOWS7\MY DOCUMENTS\AAA SITE

This is where they are on XP: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GEORGE\MY DOCUMENTS\AAA SITE

Thanks for any help.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Hi and welcome

Im assuming that you cant just point it at the new location. There are two ways I can think of. One is to make a documents and settings folder in the correct path and manually move the data there. I know its a kludge/ Second is to make a join point between the two folders

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This might be a hair painful, but if you can't change the path within the program, I would move the data to a "common" folder. Something like C:\Data\AAA SITE. Then uninstall it from both OSes and reinstall, but change the install path to your new data location.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Hi,
    Ken, I already tried what you suggested and that didn't work.
    That wont work either Chuck.

I can access the file but it contains hundreds of different pictures and other item that require the exact path that was set in the program.

When I open the program it won't load the file unless I browse to the new location of AASITE and select each pic or item individually and doing that would take forever.
    I know if I had to do that then everything would work just fine but I am trying to avoid the enormous amount of time to do so.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a tough one. I really hate software that doesn't follow normal conventions. Might be time to contact the vendor.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Banya, did you install this program in Windows 7 or just move it into Win 7?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I installed it in windows 7

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banya Rola View Post
    I installed it in windows 7
    Are the files in question your own user files or are they data files created by the program? If they are your own user files, have you checked for a "config.ini" or a "settings.ini" file within the program files that may contain the required path for the files?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what I do. I have my documents, pictures. music, whatever on the D drive. In both XP and Windows 7, I modified that locations of the standard directories to be the ones in the D drive. For example, My Documents on XP no longer references c:\Documents and Settings\peter\My Documents, but rather d:\users\peter\docs. Ditto for the Documents folder in Windows 7. This way no matter which OS I am using, I always see the same document, pictures, etc.

If course, you can always change the default folder lcoaitons in Win7 to reference the corresponding folders in XP.

You can edit the default directory locations using regedit, or grab a tool such as TweakUI/Tweak7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I have a program that I moved over to Windows 7 and the program works fine but it can't find the data files in the folder AAAA SITE because they are in a different location on Windows 7 then they were in XP.

Below is the path where they are now on each system.
    My question is, how do I get the program to access the files on Windows 7 ?

This is where they are on Windows 7: C:\USERS\WINDOWS7\MY DOCUMENTS\AAA SITE

This is where they are on XP: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GEORGE\MY DOCUMENTS\AAA SITE
    According to your path statement your userid on windows 7 is "Windows7". Is that correct?

Windows 7 creates a link to the Documents folder called "Documents and Settings" to maintain compatability with programs that were originally written to be installed on XP. So, as long as the program is properly referencing using normal Microsoft terminology it should work.

Did you delete "Documents and Settings" under Windows 7"?

Did you run the install program "As administrator"?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe....Windows 7 is my hard drive name. No, I didn't delete Documents and Settings in 7

Gerlad, the files are ones that I created.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Joe....Windows 7 is my hard drive name. No, I didn't delete Documents and Settings in 7

Gerlad, the files are ones that I created.
    If the path you typed "C:\USERS\WINDOWS7\MY DOCUMENTS\AAA SITE" is correct and you are not running with a userid of "Windows7" that is why the program can't find it.

I'd uninstall and reinstall the program. Make sure you run the installation "as administrator".

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I'll try that today and see what happens

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure that the C:\ drive that XP is seeing is the same physical portion of your hard drive as the C:\ drive that Win7 is seeing?

I have not dual-booted Win7 with XP, but on another Win7 dual boot, the new Win7 install has seen itself as occupying the C:\ drive. In fact, it was occupying what the other OS - which was at the beginning of the hard drive - was calling the D:\ drive.

HTh
    Grüße

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    Are you sure that the C:\ drive that XP is seeing is the same physical portion of your hard drive as the C:\ drive that Win7 is seeing?

I have not dual-booted Win7 with XP, but on another Win7 dual boot, the new Win7 install has seen itself as occupying the C:\ drive. In fact, it was occupying what the other OS - which was at the beginning of the hard drive - was calling the D:\ drive.

HTh
    I dual-boot 7 & XP on a desktop and a laptop. On the desktop they are on separate drives; on the laptop, separate partitions. In both cases, when XP is booted, it sees itself on C: and it sees the Windows 7 drive/partition as D:. Similarly, whenever 7 is booted, it sees itself on C: and it sees XP on D:.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows