Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I have switched keyboards from the cheap Compaq keyboard that came with my computer to the Microsoft comfort curve 3000 keyboard. My question is that the Microsoft keyboard doesn't have the sleep key on it like the compaq did. So when I take my computer out of sleep I have to press the power button on the computer. Is there a way to set a hotkey or shortcut key on the MS keyboard to do the same function as the compag sleep key (the little moon symbol)??? I would like another option as I believe it is easier on the computer using a keyboard key rather then the power button on the Computer. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jandjjobst View Post
    I have switched keyboards from the cheap Compaq keyboard that came with my computer to the Microsoft comfort curve 3000 keyboard. My question is that the Microsoft keyboard doesn't have the sleep key on it like the compaq did. So when I take my computer out of sleep I have to press the power button on the computer. Is there a way to set a hotkey or shortcut key on the MS keyboard to do the same function as the compag sleep key (the little moon symbol)??? I would like another option as I believe it is easier on the computer using a keyboard key rather then the power button on the Computer. Thanks.
    Check the 'Power Management' tab of your keyboard's properties in Device Manager. Ensure that 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is checked. This way, pressing any key on the keyboard will bring the computer out of sleep mode. The 'sleep' button is meant to put the computer to sleep when pressed. You may also want to check if your mouse is set to wake your computer. I turn this off as it's very easy to inadvertently wake the computer by nudging the mouse.

[attachment=87853:Capture.PNG]
    Regards,
    PaulB

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I presume you are talking about a desktop system and not a laptop so my comments are based on that.

There is no good reason to ever use Sleep Mode on a desktop and some good reasons for not doing so. In Sleep Mode, recovery is very fast but any power failure during Sleep will result in loss of data (in open files). Sleep is really designed for a laptop that has a battery so power failures are not a risk. After a Sleeping laptop drains much of its battery, the laptop will automatically save all data and Shutdown.

Desktop systems should use Hibernate Mode rather than Sleep. The system takes slightly longer to go into Hibernate but recovery is just about as fast as it would be from Sleep. The main advantage to Hibernate is that all data is first saved to disk in order to guard against power failures.

The front panel Power button on some/many/most systems (certainly mine) can be configured (in the Power Settings) to invoke any mode including Hibernate, which is how I configure mine. Pressing and holding the front panel Power button (for a few seconds) will override the Hibernate invocation and do a hard shutdown (power off). A brief press will invoke Hibernate if awake or Awaken from Hibernate if in Hibernate. The "Shut down" pseudo button on the Start menu still does a soft Shutdown.

My usual operating procedure is to press the front panel Power button to invoke Hibernate then walk away. On return, the system is in Hibernate and I simply push the Power again to bring the system out of Hibernate (about 30 seconds). During Hibernate, the system cannot be Awaken by any mouse movement or keyboard action.

A word of warning. A system that is in Hibernation can be woken by a special packet from the LAN. Unless you have a need to remotely wake your system, you should turn off the "Wake On LAN" option - especially if your system develops insomnia like mine did. I don't believe using the front panel Power button is any harder on the system than any other way of invoking Hibernate (or Sleep) although, I guess you could wear out the switch since it is a physical switch.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Check the 'Power Management' tab of your keyboard's properties in Device Manager. Ensure that 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is checked. This way, pressing any key on the keyboard will bring the computer out of sleep mode. The 'sleep' button is meant to put the computer to sleep when pressed. You may also want to check if your mouse is set to wake your computer. I turn this off as it's very easy to inadvertently wake the computer by nudging the mouse.

[attachment=87853:Capture.PNG]

Thanks, I will try this.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet Copeland View Post
    I presume you are talking about a desktop system and not a laptop so my comments are based on that.

There is no good reason to ever use Sleep Mode on a desktop and some good reasons for not doing so. In Sleep Mode, recovery is very fast but any power failure during Sleep will result in loss of data (in open files). Sleep is really designed for a laptop that has a battery so power failures are not a risk. After a Sleeping laptop drains much of its battery, the laptop will automatically save all data and Shutdown.

Desktop systems should use Hibernate Mode rather than Sleep. The system takes slightly longer to go into Hibernate but recovery is just about as fast as it would be from Sleep. The main advantage to Hibernate is that all data is first saved to disk in order to guard against power failures.

The front panel Power button on some/many/most systems (certainly mine) can be configured (in the Power Settings) to invoke any mode including Hibernate, which is how I configure mine. Pressing and holding the front panel Power button (for a few seconds) will override the Hibernate invocation and do a hard shutdown (power off). A brief press will invoke Hibernate if awake or Awaken from Hibernate if in Hibernate. The "Shut down" pseudo button on the Start menu still does a soft Shutdown.

My usual operating procedure is to press the front panel Power button to invoke Hibernate then walk away. On return, the system is in Hibernate and I simply push the Power again to bring the system out of Hibernate (about 30 seconds). During Hibernate, the system cannot be Awaken by any mouse movement or keyboard action.

A word of warning. A system that is in Hibernation can be woken by a special packet from the LAN. Unless you have a need to remotely wake your system, you should turn off the "Wake On LAN" option - especially if your system develops insomnia like mine did. I don't believe using the front panel Power button is any harder on the system than any other way of invoking Hibernate (or Sleep) although, I guess you could wear out the switch since it is a physical switch.
    Yes, it is a desktop I am refering to. I have just left the computer with the factory settings for going into a low power mode after a period of non use. No the mouse doesn't wake the computer as I have tried that, and pressing any key on the MS keyboard has no affect on waking the computer. I choose not to use Hibernate mode. The factory settings is to put the computer to sleep after 2 hours of non use.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked my devices and I do not have a power management tab on either the keyboard or the mouse.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this. Go to the Keyboard control panel and change the action for one of your keys to run a program, and set the program to run to the following:

rundll32 powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I checked my devices and I do not have a power management tab on either the keyboard or the mouse.
    Did you install the Intellitype software for your keyboard? Get it from Software Download.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    You must access the keyboard and mouse properties through Device Manager in order to get at the Power Management tab. Accessing properties through their individual control panel applets won't do it. If your system does not have the power management feature, I don't think I can help.

Another poster counsels not using Sleep mode because losing power could potentially result in the loss of data. True, but losing power at any time the computer is in use will potentially result in the loss of data. That is why people buy UPS units. You state that you chose not to use hibernate mode. That, of course, is your choice to make. I personally use the Hybrid Sleep mode. It has all the advantages of Sleep mode (speed) and the security of Hibernate mode (safety), even though I do have a UPS.

Good luck!

BTW, do you not find that 2 hours of inactivity before going to sleep is a really long time? I set my computer to turn off the display after 10 minutes of inactivity and put it to sleep after 20.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Hi and welcome

I just so love it when a user posts the same question on every site. Earlier tonight I answered this on two other sites. The answer keyboard mapping app.

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Lounger
    Thanks
    You must access the keyboard and mouse properties through Device Manager in order to get at the Power Management tab. Accessing properties through their individual control panel applets won't do it. If your system does not have the power management feature, I don't think I can help.

Another poster counsels not using Sleep mode because losing power could potentially result in the loss of data. True, but losing power at any time the computer is in use will potentially result in the loss of data. That is why people buy UPS units. You state that you chose not to use hibernate mode. That, of course, is your choice to make. I personally use the Hybrid Sleep mode. It has all the advantages of Sleep mode (speed) and the security of Hibernate mode (safety), even though I do have a UPS.

Good luck!

BTW, do you not find that 2 hours of inactivity before going to sleep is a really long time? I set my computer to turn off the display after 10 minutes of inactivity and put it to sleep after 20.

Ok, sorry I am still new at some things. I found the power management tab through device manager and both keyboard and mouse already had the boxes checked as above. So far though it doesn't bring the computer out of sleep.

I like to have a 2 hour setting on sleep, because when I am around the house or out for errands I can constantly come back and check my computer and emails etc, without it being shut off. I have tried other time frames, but I seem to like this one so far. I may set it a little less down the road.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Did you install the Intellitype software for your keyboard? Get it from Software Download.

Joe
    Good to go.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This morning my keyboard was able to wake the computer from sleep mode. So I guess all I had to do was ok the power management boxes. Thanks,.

Thanks
    This morning my keyboard was able to wake the computer from sleep mode. So I guess all I had to do was ok the power management boxes. Thanks,.
    Good for you. Glad we could help. As Chet mentioned above, there is a slight risk of losing data due to power failures when using sleep mode or any other time that your computer is on. You may want to consider a UPS (if you don't already have one) and switch to Hybrid sleep or Hibernate.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good for you. Glad we could help. As Chet mentioned above, there is a slight risk of losing data due to power failures when using sleep mode or any other time that your computer is on. You may want to consider a UPS (if you don't already have one) and switch to Hybrid sleep or Hibernate.
    Not entirely accurate. You do not risk data during Hibernate. That is the reason for Hibernate. On a desktop, there is no advantage to Sleep and some risk, even with a UPS. I am not at all certain a UPS can wake a Sleeping computer in order to put it through a Shutdown on a power failure, although I have to admit it would likely preserve a Sleeping computer longer than any power outage. Without a UPS, there is considerable risk since you are putting data at risk for the duration of the 24 hour day rather than just the time you are actually working.

I haven't actually timed the awake from Sleep vs awake from Hibernate but I suspect there is zero difference. I believe all differences are confined to the entry to the state since Hibernate first saves a memory image. But it does not have to restore that image since memory is kept alive during Hibernate just as it is during Sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast