EmilyS

Duplicate messages

Every so often one of our users will report connecting to the server (hosted by a 3rd party company) and it will give them all messages. This creates some duplication. The company says it is not on their end. Several of our users want to leave 2-3 days of mail on the server, but find the occasional duplication a real annoyance. Anyone know if it is an Outlook, ISP or email hosting problem? It is always the IMO messages not the Corporte/Workgroup messages from our Microsoft Mail software (ancient I know).

ril

Re: Duplicate messages

In IMO, there are two email download options: "leave on server" (checked), and don't (unchecked).

If your users are not changing this option around, then it does sound like a problem with your provider.

It is also a security risk if they are holding on to all those old messages without knowing it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the information on which messages were downloaded is stored on the local system. if the connection ends before outlook finishes marking the file it doesn't know what was downloaded and won't update the file. most often it's a problem with corp mode, so i'm surprised you are seeing it on IMO.

are these users experiening conection problems with the provider? could the file holding the download data be geting deleted )it's in with rules, *.rhc i think is the one)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i'm a bit confused by your use of corp and IMO. Are you using corp mode of outlook and refering to the internet mail messages as IMO? Or is your company using mixed versions, ie, some have outlook in corp mode, some have outlook-IMO and only the IMO clients are having a problem?

EmilyS

Thank you for the information that the file is on the local system and how it behaves. To clarify, we have users that are corporate/workgroup and users that are IMO. Both have experienced this problem. The majority of the IMO's use AOL as their ISP - enough said. It just threw me that our corp users are on a high speed connection that to my knowledge has not gone down. Do you know why it is seen more often on the corp mode?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it happens more often in corp mode due to mapi hangs causing the messages not to be marked. these hangs are often caused by too frequent manual mail sends or from manually checking mail too close to an automatic check. corp mode users should use automatic checking no closer than 8-10 apart and avoid doing manual checks and they'll rarely see the problem.

opening and closing outlook constantly can also cause problems and i recommend users leave it open and if they close it, not to reopen it for approx 15 mins. In reality, a few min delay is enough to release all the dlls, but if i said wait 5 min no one would. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

IMO may be prone to the problem for the same reason but i haven't really studied it enough to be sure it's the cause. IMO uses a different mapi and shouldn't have problems, but that's only theory.