Thread: Libraries

Thanks
    I created a library called "XXX" and within that library is a folder called "yyy". When I go to save a document generally the document I am working on I wan it to go to at least the "XXX" library.
    Is there a way to at least open up Library "XXX" when I click either save, or save as? I knew how to do that in WinXP, but I must be missing something or maybe just haven't tried hard enough to figure it out.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    t8ntlikly, First you have to create your 'XXX' library in the main Libraries folder. Then when you want to save a document, your initial save would be a 'save as' and a dialog box will open for you to select the folder you want to save in. Normally this dialog box will present you with the Documents Library so you can select a documents folder you wish to save in. If you want to save your document into the 'XXX' library, then scroll down and click the arrow pointer to the left of 'XXX' library to show you the folders inside the 'XXX' library. You would then select the 'yyy' folder within that library to save your file. Your file cannot be saved directly to the 'XXX' library folder, but only inside a folder within the 'XXX' library, in this case the 'yyy' folder.

Once you perform your initial 'save as', when you edit or update the file, click the 'save' button or the Menu file>save and Windows will remember where you established the Library and folder to save this file name.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanks Gerald but that is what I am already doing.

Let me see if I can explain this better.
    In Windows XP when I went to save a document, it always came up with My Document, which basically now is Libraries.
    In My Documents I was able to open the XXX folder, then open the yyy sub folder where I wanted to save the document. While the yyy sub folder was open I was able to right click on the folder bar on the left hand side and and choose Add yyy. The next time I went to save a document I could open up that sub folder and save the document.
    It didn't matter whether I clicked Save or Save As. Box always came up "Save In". Does that help? And while we are at it, When I go to Documents whether to save them or open one, the default is alway the "Document" Library. I would like to change that to the library folder that I created "XXX" since that is where 99.9% of my work goes.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Thanks Gerald but that is what I am already doing.

While the yyy sub folder was open I was able to right click on the folder bar on the left hand side and and choose Add yyy. The next time I went to save a document I could open up that sub folder and save the document.
    I am using XP now and where is the folder bar that can be right clicked to choose Add? I am having trouble following you.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    ......Is there a way to at least open up Library "XXX" when I click either save, or save as?.....
    Which application are you using for "SaveAs"? Perhaps your problem has to do with the "age" of the application.

For Office 2000, individual Libraries - let alone the folders in them - are just *not* recognised. OTOH Paint Shop Pro 5 (from 1998) can navigate to yyy in a custom XXX library **no problem**!

YMMV
    Gre

Thanks
    The age of the applications are irrelevant. On my company laptop I am using Windows XPP SP3, with Office 2007, and on this laptop I am running Windows 7 with Office 2007.
    I learned this from one of Woody's books. Guess it is time to dig through those.
    thanks anyway guys
    Thanks John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    ....On my company laptop I am using Windows XPP SP3, with Office 2007, and on this laptop I am running Windows 7 with Office 2007.....
    Then it may be an Office 2007 issue. I haven't used Office 2007 on Win7, but it may be that the FileSave dialog is using special Office (Vista or earlier compatible) code that is not wholly compatible with Win7 Libraries.
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The age of the applications are irrelevant. On my company laptop I am using Windows XPP SP3, with Office 2007, and on this laptop I am running Windows 7 with Office 2007.
    Is How to add custom folders to the Microsoft Office 2007 Save As dialog box Simple Help what you are looking for?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe,
    that is what I am doing in Win XP, yes I finally remembered how to do it. With the libraries in Windows7 however I can't seem to do the same thing.
    Also is there a way to set a different default library other than documents in Windows7
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    that is what I am doing in Win XP, yes I finally remembered how to do it. With the libraries in Windows7 however I can't seem to do the same thing.
    Also is there a way to set a different default library other than documents in Windows7
    In the save or save as dialog if you navigate to the folder you wish then right click on "Favorites " and select "Add current location to favorites".

If you wish to change the default location for a particular application you need to change the default save location in each Office application. That will be different for each but somewhere in the Advanced options you should find the default save location.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I should have tried your suggestions out one at a time Joe, but suffice to say the second option is doing what I want to. Most of the applications that I need to save are either word documents or .pdf files. I set the default in Word to go to the folder that I need and from there can scroll to the sub folder since that change with every document. As for the .pdf files. I will just have to leave alone at least for now and just keep on saving as normal.
    Great help Joe, and yes the setting that I was looking for was in the Advanced Options as you suggested.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Could this be a problem related to the fact that the Libraries are really just pointers to the real location of the folders. The libraries do not actually contain the folder, they just point to them. Here is how MS explains Libraries. Here is a shot of the important explanation of this:

[attachment=87896:2010-01-23_1744.png]

I'm not sure if this may help in solving the original problem. The link above does a reasonable job of explaining how libraries work. Many readers of this forum may be under the assupmtion that the Libraries actual hold the files and folder. In another thread a reader deleted documents in My Documents thinking that they were a duplicate of the Libraries, not realizing the Libraries were only pointers to the My Documents folder..
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Could this be a problem related to the fact that the Libraries are really just pointers to the real location of the folders. The libraries do not actually contain the folder, they just point to them. Here is how MS explains Libraries. Here is a shot of the important explanation of this:
    I believe this also explains why libraries also may contain pointers to files that are no longer available, which is one thing users should be aware of and watch out for. If the file was on removable media, for example, the pointer will no longer be valid if the storage medium has been removed.

Thanks
    thanks all that really puts things into perspective,like when I am updating a file in a my documents sub folder it takes a second or so to appear in the in the library folder. Odd but true. Now that I have a better understanding, I am going to do some real playing around. For example, I have several folders on my Maxtor External Drive. In order to get to them I need to click on the Maxtor icon and scroll to the folder. Now! What if I create a library and take those folders and put them in that library.Hmm food for thought! Ok who mentioned food? in that same scenario most of the folders that are on the Maxtor are password protected.
    Aha! you see where I am headed with this don't you.
    Anyway thanks again! and GO SAINTS
    Thanks John