Thread: Fax Software?

Thanks
    I'm not having much luck with my 'fax refreshing' but not otherwise working in XP-Pro post under Windows\XP.

Can anyone suggest a freeware or inexpensive shareware program that works under XP to receive and send the occasional fax, say a few times a month, max?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use the fax software in XP and it's great. What problems are you having?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You might try E-Fax
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Paul,

I must not have ticked the option to track responses. I outlined the problem on 1/14/10. The fax console worked for me until it quit. I said:

I am running XP Pro SP-3 updated. Tonight the Fax Console decided to give me trouble. I've always had to start it from the desktop before I can print a Word document as a fax. Tonight when I tried it crashed Word. I rebooted and paid more attention. When I start the Fax Console I get an hourglass and it says refreshing. It can't seem to get beyond that. I can't send a Fax I want to get out. I guess I will walk the message downtown tomorrow.

I did a quick Google search and tried to uninstall then reinstall the component via Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Windows Components. The Wizard completes with the box checked but the Fax Console is still installed anyway.

I must be missing some fine detail because I am tired. Do I need to uninstall the Fax printer under printers before I can uninstall the component? Could it be that the Windows Components Removal Wizard is sick?

thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try printing a fax from Notepad. This will confirm if the fax / modem is working.
    Next try a PDF - more complex.
    Can you receive faxes?

cheers Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

Thanks for your interest and suggestion.

I normally used the fax as a printer from Word. I learned quickly that I needed to go the desktop and to open a process (using a desktop icon) that invokes:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\%SystemRoot%\system32\FxsClnt. exe /new

When I do this, the Fax Console opens and reports that it is 'refreshing' until it times out. I see now that there is the possibility of selecting under Advanced Properties, "Run with different credentials." Might this change things?

I played with it briefly. It seems as though it is set up to use my name as a user ID.

Since mine is a stand alone machine which I set up over a year ago, I do not recall that I set up a password for access. Perhaps it is time for me to learn this added layer of complexity over the Windows I learned to love and hate under the names, Win95,Win98, and Win3.1.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To use the fax as a printer you only need the Fax service running. Check under Services that you have a "Fax" and that it starts automatically.

cheers, Paul