Lounger
    Thanks
    If one is looking for a simple, bare bones portable hard drive, it seems to me the Western Digital Elements USB 2.0 meets the criteria (P/N WDBAAR5000ABK-NESN). It looks to me like it does NOT come loaded with backup software...but one question I do have is - does it have any other addons such as tool bars, etc.? (hopefully not). Anyone own this drive and can give me this info?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been looking at external hard drives myself. I also am concerned about the "junkware" they load on this stuff. From what I can tell this drive looks clean. But might I recommend an alternative? For a few dollars more, I've settled on an external drive case and standard internal drive of 1 TB. Twice the capacity for not a whole lot of extra money, and truly bare bones.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Backup software is a really good idea and the software on these disks is designed to make backup easy.
    If you want a bare disk, buy a bare internal disk - it'll be a lot cheaper.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not adverse to having backup software on the drive, it's the added on JUNK which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks
    I had a WD MY Book Essentials 1 TB external HDD, but did not like it. It was bulky and required a seperate power cable which created problems for me. May have worked well for a desktop, but my primary PC is now a laptop. I could have set it up on the network, but that would not have allowed me to travel with it. I chose a Seagate Go 1 TB portable that powers through the USB. Does everything I want in a much smaller package that is easier to travel with. Some what more costly, but fits my needs better.

It was already formated in NTFS, does have a Seagate app, which I will most likely ditch since I just bought Acronis True Image Home 2010 in download version for $40 so I will not have the need for the Seagate app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy