Thread: W7 Upgrade

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    IDo I understand correctly that installing the W7 upgrade over Vista doesn't require you to reinstall all your programs and files?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It will give you the new operating system, Windows 7, without your programs and files. They, if it is an upgrade, will be in a (large) folder called Windows.Old, and if that folder is all you have of your previous installation, guard it carefully, as it is extremely valuable. You are much better off to save or back up your old files independently of it, keeping both for the sake of security.

You will indeed have to reinstall all your old programs and files, and that is the reason that migration to Windows 7 or any other new operating system is such a big deal, for in many cases you will have to uninstall them properly while online in order to satisfy the licensing conditions to be able to reinstall them on the new system.

Thanks
    @peterg, that reads like the description of an 'upgrade' to W7 from XP (ie, a clean install), not that of upgrading Vista.

Thanks
    Chuck,
    There are 2 methods to install windows 7. The in place upgrade or the clean install.

The in place upgrade installs win 7 within your Vista OS. This upgrades all files in place without changing anything in you programs or data, in theory. There have been some cases that this works very effectively as described in other threads within this forum. However, any little quirks in your Vista install will most likely be carried over to you new Win 7 OS. Any intermittent errors or programs not quite right will continue. Any apps needing updates will continue to need updates, etc. You get the picture. Many more problems have been reported with the in place update, and most of the "experts" agree this is not the best option. However this option tends to be easier for the unexperienced, although in my humble opinion, not much easier. Win 7, for me, was about the smoothest, easiest upgrade of any MS has come up with.

The clean install installs Win 7 over you Vista, overwriting everything. It does create a folder called windows.old which contains your entire Vista OS. In this case, yes you have to reinstall all apps. This gives you the opportunity to update out of date apps, or simple toss the apps you no longer use. We all seem to have a lot of those. As peter mentioned always back up your important data before starting. I have found, based on 5 seperate clean installs on both laptop and desktop PCs that this option gives a much cleaner installation that takes to tweaking much better. In each case, I simply opened the windows.old folder and dragged my data (favorites, pics, music, contacts, app data, etc) to the appropriate folder in my new OS. As an alternative, instead of dragging, copy the data. In my case, after I had everything I needed from the windows.old folder, and after I verified Win 7 was working correctly, I deleted the windows.old folder, freeing up a huge amount of disk space. HOWEVER, if there is any chance you may want to go back (I have no idea why) then keep the windows.old folder as it was originally created. This is a reason to copy versus drag your data to the new OS.

As I stated in my case I chose clean install (When you boot to the dvd, this is the custom option and choose the Vista partition). All 5 installs went smoothly with very few problems. Once the install was done the fun began. Check out HowToGeek for literally hundreds of tweaks to make you Win 7 run faster and customized to your liking.

I hope this ramble helps in your decision.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My apology for the incorrect and unconsidered reply to your question.

HERE is an excellent discussion of the subject at Paul Thurrott's SuperSite and

HERE is a tutorial for an Inplace Upgrade Installation from Vista to Windows at Sevenforums

There are many others, and I strongly recommend installing and running the latest Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor which is available HERE and for which there is a tutorial HERE.

Best of luck with it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. However, I'm on vacation till early February, so it will be a while before I attempt the upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe to upgrade you need to use same versions of windows. ie vista home will upgrade to win 7 home, vista pro will upgrade to win7 pro and so on.
    joe crudele

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crudele View Post
    I believe to upgrade you need to use same versions of windows. ie vista home will upgrade to win 7 home, vista pro will upgrade to win7 pro and so on.
    I believe you can go to other versions as well (i.e. Vista ultimate to Win 7 HP or Vista HP to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate), but it appears you must go the clean install route, but since the general overall consenses is that the clean install is the preferred route, that would not be a problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy