Thread: Runaway CPU

Lounger
    Thanks
    This problem has been steadily growing worse over the last few months.

At times that appear quite random, the PC will seem very, very slow, or even to freeze. If I have Process Explorer or Task Manager running they show one process is using up to 99% CPU. I have found that if I end or kill that process, another will immediately take up the 99% CPU role. Eventually explorer.exe will be the 99% CPU user, at which point the only way forwards is to Power Off.

Currently, the PC can even freeze after Power On and Log On alone.

Hardware: Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, 1.5GB RAM, 1.5GHz Pentium M CP
    Software: Windows XP Pro SP3, NOD32 antivirus, Comodo firewall

If I canít fix this, Iíll go to Windows 7!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    How old is that laptop & how full is the hard drive? It sounds as if something in there is beginning to reach the end of its useful life. HTH
    GrŁŖe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A reinstall might be tried or maybe use the wubi installer with Ubuntu, which installs Ubuntu within a file structure in XP, so no repartitioning or othere special considerations are needed for the most part.

If Ubuntu will run without triggering any of the problems then you can be pretty sure its a software problem that has developed with XP and a repair install might help.

The first option will let you know right away if its software or hardware but of course its more drastic.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Ward View Post
    At times that appear quite random, the PC will seem very, very slow, or even to freeze. If I have Process Explorer or Task Manager running they show one process is using up to 99% CPU. I have found that if I end or kill that process, another will immediately take up the 99% CPU role. Eventually explorer.exe will be the 99% CPU user, at which point the only way forwards is to Power Off.
    Are you able to run a full antimalware scan?

Can you boot into safe mode? Is there a slow down in safe mode?

Do you typically see the same process using the CPU when the problem starts? What are the processes?

Have you done any rootkit scans?

Is the PC on a local network? Work or home?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The laptop may just be showing age, but it could have another issue. Run Task Manager, select show processes from all users and post a screenshot and one of us might spot something amiss. Otherwise, if the Dell diagnostic partition is installled, hit F12 as it boots up and run that to see if there is a hardware problem.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyPatrick View Post
    The laptop may just be showing age, but it could have another issue. Run Task Manager, select show processes from all users and post a screenshot and one of us might spot something amiss. Otherwise, if the Dell diagnostic partition is installled, hit F12 as it boots up and run that to see if there is a hardware problem.

I agree with age. Also, in looking at the specs for the PC, it is just above minimum for Win 7. Changing to Win 7 will probably be a disappointment on this PC, and if your problem is indeed a hardware age issue, it may not even be compatible with win 7 and even if it is, if the PC fails, you will still have to upgrade to a new PC that will probably already have Win 7 installed. Definitely run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor. I would hate to see you spend the money on Win 7 and then have to upgrade your PC shortly thereafter.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If your looking to keep your current laptop, i'd seriously start by going through all your installed apps and deciding what to dump.
    "1.5GB RAM, 1.5GHz Pentium M CP" ...this is some pretty weak hardware in todays computing environment, may not entirely stand up...anymore.
    Sure, you could instal windows 7, but it would not make for a very good experience ...and thats putting it mildly.

You could always change out the processor and upgrade the RAM, but that might prove to be alittle more ambitious than your laptop is worth.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.