2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Displaying Folders in Outlook 2000 (Outlook 2000)

I'm trying to customise which folders are visible in my folder list. In particular, since I also view an administration mailbox (as well as my own), I'd like to be able to simply see that mailbox's Inbox (and subfolders), and not things like Contacts, Calendar and the like, but I can't find any way to do it. The folder Properties show a 'Folder Visible' checkbox in the Permissions pane, but that seems to apply to anyone else in the profiles but me! Has anyone any idea how to do this? TIA

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Displaying Folders in Outlook 2000 (Outlook 2000)

There is a way that you can view only certain folders from someone else's mailbox, but I believe that you'll have to turn the permissions you have off at the server before it will work. Once you have no more permissions from the server, log on to the administration's mailbox. Right-click on the folders that you want to have access to and choose Properties. Select the Permissions tab, and add yourself as Editor to the folders. This should make it so you will only see the folders you gave yourself permission to in your folder list.

Hope this helps,
    Becky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you can't hide your folders -

for addtional mailboxes, log on to the other mailbox and change the permissions on the folders you don't want to see to remove your rights. make sure you have permission for the folders that you want to see - including the main mailbox (outlook today) you need upper level permissions to see lower folders. (if you want to see a subfolder of inbox, you need inbox visible too)

to change permissions, right click on the folders and choose properties. select your name and uncheck the folder visble box.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the information, but unfortunately it didn't work! I logged on as the Admin mailbox, got the properties of the folders (e.g. Journal, Calendar, Contacts, Notes), and set the permissions for my own profile name to Custom with all checkboxes set off - i.e. folder NOT visible). But when I logged into Outlook again as myself, all the unwanted folders were still there! Looking at the properties for the folders still shows me as having no right to do anything in them including seeing them, so how come I AM still seeing them?! Incidentally, I seem to be able to alter the Admin mailbox folder properties even when I'm logged in as myself - is this significant?

Thanks again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Becky

Your advice was the same as given to me by MaryJ (see threads), which didn't work (see my reply to her post), except for the bit about the server. What exactly do you mean about having no permissions from the server? All permissions, for anything? Or just with regard to the Admin mailbox?

Thanks again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I work in a law firm, and here's what I do when an attorney wants his secretary to have access to a few (but not all) folders that he has created. The secretary has no permissions to the attorney's mailbox as far as the server goes (I'm not a network admin, I'm just a lowly help desk tech, and I don't know how to assign permissions on the server). So, in your case, they just don't have permissions to the admin mailbox. I log on as the attorney (or admin, for you), and right-click-properties... on the folder items the secretary needs access to, including the main mailbox. When you log on, you should be able to see only the folders that you have given yourself permission to see. I hope this makes sense.

Becky

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Becky!

Yes, it all makes extremely GOOD sense, and I followed it to the letter, but I'm still seeing all the folders I don't want to see, even though the properties tell me I can't see them! Like you, my knowledge of Outlook goes so far and no further, so I guess I'm just as much in the dark about server permissions as you too. I think I'll have to find who has server responsibility for all this and see if your point makes sense to them! Thanks for all your ideas though, they were very useful!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Incidentally, I seem to be able to alter the Admin mailbox folder properties even when I'm logged in as myself - is this significant?
    <hr>
    yes, it is significant. it sounds like you have owner rights assigned and owners can't hide their folders.

are you using exchange 5.5 or 2000?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I, too, work in a law firm. I have a document that may or may not help in your case, but it might help others who need help in setting up shared folders. Our secretaries need to be able to add contacts, print e-mails, etc. for their assignments, so we've created step-by-step instructions as to what to do on the owner's computer and what to do on the secretary's computer. Although they were created for Outlook 98, I believe that they are still current in OL2000.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out the process to attach it to this message. If someone will give me instructions for attaching a Word document, I'll be glad to post it.
    Karnie Moesenthin
    Technical Training and Development Professional
    Legal Industry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karnie,

Thanks for the offer of help. To attach a file to a post, simply click the 'Browse...' button on the Reply screen (alongside the 'Attach a file - 100k Max' and text box, just above the 'Check Spelling' button), and navigate to the required file. Double-click on the file, and send the post as normal. See my attachment to this post. Thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the "Sharing folders" memo we distribute.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Karnie Moesenthin
    Technical Training and Development Professional
    Legal Industry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karnie,

Thanks for those instructions - they were excellent! Most of it I had already picked up, but they do contain the missing links that meant that I couldn't get the required folders visible for other people. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me, but I think that no matter what I set, I'm still regarded as the Admin mailbox owner, so I'm not allowed to *not* see folders!

Many thanks for your help - I've got most of the way there now, and the bit I couln't do is an annoyance not a hindrance! Thanks again