New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got a new desktop that came with 64-bit Win7 Home Premium pre-installed. I'm using the box primarily as a PVR to record video from cable TV. I've installed two Hauppaugue PVR-150 tuner cards, and there's a very strange problem.

The cards won't work right with 64-bit Win7 if the computer has 4GB or more of RAM installed (confirmed on the Hauppaugue support pages). The computer came with 4GB, so I've had to remove one stick of RAM to make the tuners work right.

I'm assuming this is related to old 16-bit or 32-bit code in the drivers and it wouldn't be an issue if the box were running 32-bit Win7. I'd like to reinstall that RAM for obvious performance reasons.

Is it possible to roll back a Win7 installation from 64-bit to 32-bit? If so, what's involved? I have the Win7 DVD that came with the computer, but there's no indication on the label whether it contains both versions. Is there a way to tell?

I'm not very far into setting up the computer yet, so a reformat/reinstall is feasible if required.

Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A retail DVD with 7 will have both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the OS. You'd have to contact your manufacturer to see if they have done this with your recovery DVD. I suspect that it only has the 64 bit version. Even if you were able to go to 32 bit, you would lose the ability to use the entire 4GB of RAM anyway, so your not really ahead by doing so. I'd leave the RAM out for now and ask Hauppaugue what their time line is for 64 bit compatibility.
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you have the 32 bit DVD, you can do a clean install of it.
    Since this machine came with 64 bit, I doubt that you have a 32 bit DVD, then you will have to go BUY it. If you buy it, get it from your OEM of this machine, as it will come with the required drivers and software for that model.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post

Is it possible to roll back a Win7 installation from 64-bit to 32-bit? If so, what's involved? I have the Win7 DVD that came with the computer, but there's no indication on the label whether it contains both versions. Is there a way to tell?
    Thanks!
    Changing from 32 bit to 64 bit or visa-versa involves a clean install - i.e. start from scratch. As for your Win7 DVD, it is most likely the 64 bit version. The 64 bit and 32 bit versions are separate DVDs. If your version is an OEM version (from the computer manufacturer), it's quite possible that you received only the 64 bit DVD. Retail versions on the other hand, contain both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Oops - I see Dave already responded.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I'm assuming this is related to old 16-bit or 32-bit code in the drivers and it wouldn't be an issue if the box were running 32-bit Win7. I'd like to reinstall that RAM for obvious performance reasons.
    The first thing I would do is call Hauppaugue tech support and pose that question to them as well as what has already been suggested, to ask them what the timeline is... IF it is forthcoming, that they will have updated drivers to accommodate 64-bit systems using 4+ gigs of RAM.

BTW, you may not get the full use of the 4 gigs (3.2-3.5) with the 32-bit system should you decide to take that major step, but your system will not suffer performance from it. It is well known that 64-bit systems need more RAM than 32-bit systems to run at the same performance levels. The question is, of course, is it worth spending the money and time to switch to a 32-bit system just to do what you want to do??
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Changing from 32 bit to 64 bit or visa-versa involves a clean install - i.e. start from scratch. As for your Win7 DVD, it is most likely the 64 bit version. The 64 bit and 32 bit versions are separate DVDs. If your version is an OEM version (from the computer manufacturer), it's quite possible that you received only the 64 bit DVD. Retail versions on the other hand, contain both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Oops - I see Dave already responded.

Actually my Free Upgrade DVD from Sony came with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions on one DVD. I realise this is not OEM, but perhaps if Eric is lucky he will have this opton as well. Otherwise, you may have some expense involved in buying a 32 bit version. Don't worry about the RAM, 32 bit can only access 3.1 GB anyway. I concur that a call to Hauppaugue support is called for.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who've replied so far. Stunning to have so many helpful responses so quickly.

As several of you suggested I'll call Hauppaugue and see what they have to say. I'll update here as I get more info.

Thanks again!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The PVR 150 analog tuner is old now and you should consider upgrading to a Hauppauge 1250 or better. It's not expensive and it is digital. You can actually add rabbit ears and pull digital out of the air. IMO, it's not worth downgrading a fine new computer for old out of date tuners.