Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Latest release of the popular browser. Get it from Firefox Browser | Faster & Safer Internet | Free Download. See the Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Release Notes for details.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Nice catch, JoeP. Getting mine this weekend.
    -- Bob Primak --

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Some issues with add-ons to be aware of.

The IE Tab add-on is not compatible and can cause crashes, an alternative is the Coral IE Tab add-on.

If you have multiple home pages and have Firefox set to open your home pages at start, if you have Tab Mix Plus installed only the first 2 home pages will load.

If you use the Torbutton add-on, make sure you upgrade to Torbutton 1.2.4 before installing Firefox 3.6, version 1.2.3 can cause problems with bookmarks (you will appear to lose bookmarks). If you have Torbutton 1.2.3, disabling it solves the problem.

Thanks
    MAJOR BUG IN FIREFOX 3.6 ! ...OR maybe a configuration issue...

When upgrading to Firefox 3.6, the old Themes feature conflicts with the new Personas feature. The result is that after upgrading, if you then go out and select a Persona, your Firefox Profile can become corrupted. It happened to me, and other users have reported this bug at Bugzilla. My observations lead me to conclude that the Themes are no longer compatible with the Personas. But you cannot opt out from Personas, as it is now a built-in feature. And there are no longer any Themes to download and install. Only Personas. If you are upgrading, the installer does not disable Themes nor remove the feature from your existing Firefox installation -- hence the conflict.

Thank God I have installed the Firefox FEBE extension -- it backs up and can restore from its backup folder your Firefox Profile or any parts of it. Without this little lifesaver, I would be spending a half a day rebuilding my Firefox customizations and bookmarks. Of course, you have to perform a FEBE backup BEFORE upgrading. I STRONGLY recommend doing so this time, for those who have yet to upgrade.

SHEESH!! You'd think the folks at Mozilla would've caught this sort of bug before releasing Fireflox 3.6 from beta testing!

Details on Profile corruption: in my case, this means that the Downloads and Add-ons pop-up windows showed with no contents. I could not remove the Personas add-on, because my add-ons were not showing up, even after an attempt to use FEBE to restore them.

In the end, I used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of Firefox, downloaded the current installer, and started over from scratch. That at least got rid of the conflict, as Themes was not reinstalled. Then a little work with FEBE and multiple file selections, and I was back to nearly normal operations. I do like the Personas feature, but seriously, What the happened during beta testing that they let this showstopper of a bug through?? At this rate, maybe Randall C. Kennedy is right, and Firefox is indeed doomed!

This is a serious bug, folks!

-- Bob Primak --

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    ....When upgrading to Firefox 3.6, the old Themes feature conflicts with the new Personas feature. ......

....This is a serious bug, folks!
    From the Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Release Notes linked to by JoeP above:

Extensions and Themes

.....When you install Firefox 3.6 all of your Extensions and Themes will be disabled until Firefox 3.6 determines that either a) they are compatible with the Firefox 3.6 release or b) there are newer versions available that are compatible.
    Are saying:
    • your Themes were not disabled? (That would surely be a bug) or
    • you re-enabled Themes that had been disabled and have found that they are not 3.6 compatible? (That is what the Release Notes appear to be warning you about.)

HTH
    Gre

Thanks
    [s]This is now listed as Bug Number 490286 520124 at BugZilla. [/s]This is a known issue. I was not the person who originally posted to bugzilla about this bug. [s]This started as a suggestions thread, but a few people got into several related issues, all similar to my experience, but none as fatal as my experience. [/s]My efforts to post at bugzilla and at the Firefox Support Forums were met with hostility and technical barriers which prevented posting. This is no way to run a website, Firefox folks!! (Update Jan. 29, 2010 -- I can post to the Support Forums now. DO NOT post to BugZilla unless you are a Firefox Developer, and understand thoroughly the correct way to use that site. BugZilla is NOT a Forum site!)
    [s]
    [/s]This could be a configuration issue, caused by having Personas active during the Firefox 3.5.7 to 3.6 upgrade process.

[s]And[/s] I am saying that the Themes feature itself is not disabled during the upgrade. Not even if an active Persona is detected. And yes, this is indeed a bug (in the Firefox 3.6 upgrade installation process). The upgrade should revert all Themes to Default and not allow any Theme to be selected whenever Personas is active.

I just spent three hours fixing my Administrator's Firefox Profile (without FEBE, it would have taken much longer!), but thank God my user accounts were unaffected by the corruption of the Administrator Account's Firefox Profile. This is further proof that the act of installing a Persona did the corruption. (Otherwise, all the user profiles should be corrupted, but they were not corrupted by what happened in the Administrator Account.) Once I did the clean reinstall of the current Firefox build, no corruptions occurred in the other Accounts, where the original upgrade had never been opened. This is not supposed to be the way a Firefox upgrade behaves.

[s]So my recommendation is still that the old Firefox should be completely uninstalled, and then the new version should be installed clean, at least until Mozilla fixes the upgrade installer. And back up your profile before upgrading, since this is a widespread problem. [/s]I now recommend making a FEBE backup of the entire FF 3.5 User Profile before upgrading from FF 3.5 to F 3.6, just in case you end up with this misconfiguration issue. This is always my recommendation when updating anything associated with Firefox.

If you install the Personas add-on, when you click on the "Get Themes" link, you are taken to the Personas page at Mozilla. No Themes pages anymore. None. (This may only be the case if you install the new Personas add-on. My Guest Account had not installed the add-on, but no Themes were available for download. Your results may vary.) Anyway, it appears you must choose either Themes or Personas -- you cannot have both at the same time.

And no, your Themes are not all turned off if you only do the Firefox upgrade. In my Administrator Account, which had Personas installed before the upgrade, the upgrade itself only disabled one out of three of my Themes, and I NEVER tried to reinstall that Theme. I did try to enable one of the supposedly compatible Themes, and it would not activate with the new Personas add-on active. Only after the new Personas becomes active and a Persona is chosen and installed, do all of the Themes become disabled completely. During the transition process, your Profile can become corrupted by the mere act of choosing a Persona to wear. That's what happened to me, until I did the removal and clean install of Firefox.

I then restored my critical Profile data using FEBE. My old Themes would not reinstall (via FEBE Restore) into Firefox 3.6 with a Persona active. Clearly, the intent is to make us choose either Personas or Themes, but not both. The upgrade installer seems incapable of making this choice on its own.

This is a bug (in the upgrade process). [s]and it had been reported to BugZilla before I ever arrived there[/s]. I [s]only added a couple of[/s] should never have added any details to the original (BugZilla) bug report, [s]which had come from another Firefox user. [/s]because BugZilla is a Developer site, and not a forum. The correct place to report and resolve end-user issues, even if a bug is suspected, is in the Firefox User Support Forums.

Since Themes are disabled by Personas, I chose to uninstall all the non-default Themes from all of my Accounts as a safeguard. I like Personas better than fixed Themes, if I must choose one or the other.

Update
    : Friday, January 29, 2010 2:17:11 AM I think I more fully understand what things I ran afoul of, and I think these flaws could have been better documented in the Firefox 3.6 Release Notes.

When upgrading, it is wise (maybe necessary) to disable or uninstall Firefox Personas. You can add it back later if you wish.

It is in fact EITHER/OR between Personas or Themes in FF 3.6. This should be done automatically when Personas is installed, but if a previous version and a previous Persona are active, Themes may not be fully disabled after the upgrade.

There is a simple change in the Firefox "about:config" file (just type into a blank Location Bar the words about:config and agree to be careful when prompted) which may restore the blank pop-up windows for add-ons, options, etc. From the Firefox Support Forums site:

Just Installed Firefox 3.6... (Stony, post # 4, shows the value to change.) This might have been valuable information for me, to avoid reinstalling Firefox from scratch.

I am tempted to downgrade this from a bug to a configuration issue, except that the upgrade installer seems not to have done its job of preventing this issue.

I now know what I woulda/coulda/shoulda done differently during the upgrade. Ain't hindsight wunnerful??

(This post has been further edited later in the day Friday, Jan. 29, 2010. Sorry for all the strikeouts and the mess here. )
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Hmm, I still have Littlefox loaded and active in FX3.6 EN-GB. This may be because I'm running a nightly Minefield parallel and sharing the same FX profile? I very much doubt if I'll install Personas anyway, function over fluff ...

[attachment=87887:FX3.6.jpg]

EDIT:
    LittleFox, designed for optimal screen usage, leaving lots of room for browsing. For Firefox 2.0, and 3.0, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 nightlies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am also having problems after just installing 3.6, not with Themes but add-ons. I have installed two new add-ons separately and gave the go ahead to restart FF, but 3.6 just closed and would no come back up. I had to manually stop the process, then restart from the desktop icon. FF appears to be working okay but is much slower. I have a theme, NOIA running that is doing okay, but I haven't tried to change/update it so don't know what would happen.

Thanks
    New Update to my "BUG" posting:

(Most of the original content of this post duplicates what I posted in other places, as well as here. No need to clutter up The Lounge with excessive details.) (Friday, January 29, 2010)

If I find out about any fixes or updates relating to this issue, I'll post again. Otherwise, I feel my posts here and elsewhere are sufficient to warn of this issue and document how it may be occurring. I left a brief note at the Woody Leonhard Windows Patch Watch site (http://www.askwoody.com) referring people who have had this problem, or who have not yet upgraded, to The Lounge for [s]these details. [/s]my take on this issue.

(Friday, January 29, 2010
    Note that I have revamped my original posting about this. I now consider the upgrade installer to have a bug, but some other Personas behaviors were intentionally changed in Firefox 3.6. A possible configuration tweak may save folks from doing a clean reinstall if this bug bites you. My Post # 11 below links to my Firefox User Forum posting, which is up to date and as detailed as anyone should want to know. That thread also contains an "about:config" file entry modification which may help if this issue bites you.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Karl View Post
    I am also having problems after just installing 3.6, not with Themes but add-ons. I have installed two new add-ons separately and gave the go ahead to restart FF, but 3.6 just closed and would no come back up. I had to manually stop the process, then restart from the desktop icon. FF appears to be working okay but is much slower. I have a theme, NOIA running that is doing okay, but I haven't tried to change/update it so don't know what would happen.
    There is, in All Programs Menu, a listing for Mozilla Firefox. Hover your mouse over that listing, and click on the Firefox Safe Mode listing. Try closing and reopening the Safe Mode Firefox. If this mode does OK, you may need to update or remove some extensions and themes. Then retry your regular mode Firefox. This is how you can diagnose problems with add-ons (extensions and themes) without having to reinstall Firefox.

Also, corrupted user Profiles can cause Firefox problems. In that case, a full-scale clean reinstall may be the option of last resort. Removing your profile from your Application Data folder (for the current Windows user -- the folder is called Mozilla Firefox. Just remove the profiles folders with the crazy alphanumeric names.) before reinstalling Firefox can also help, but you would be left without your current Firefox user data -- you would have a clean, blank-slate reinstall. (Your Bookmarks and other stored data would be lost.) Revo Uninstaller can remove Firefox and all your Firefox user data in one operation, but then you would lose anything you customized.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I have revised and consolidated my Firefox 3.5.7 to Firefox 3.6 upgrade issue into this posting at the Firefox User Support Forums. You do not have to register there to participate, but registration is free and has a few benefits. The gist of my posting is that I no longer consider this issue to be a Firefox bug, but a poorly-configured behavior change in the Personas plug-in, which is now standard in Firefox 3.6. You cannot install Personas on top of non-default Themes, as I had been doing under FF 3.5. Trying to do so can corrupt your Firefox current user Profile, and a clean reinstall may be the only solution. Use the FEBE Extension to allow batch-restoration of settings under a clean, new user Profile.
    -- Bob Primak --