Lounger
    Thanks

After 6 years of using Word 2003 and 2 years on this same laptop, about 10 days ago Word suddenly started taking 7 seconds to copy and another 7 seconds to paste! It may have started after I "upgraded" to IE8 but I'm not sure (who remembers such things?).

Has anyone else experienced this? I've googled for it, but get such helpful suggestions as paste unformatted (which does still work instantly but doesn't help the delay in copying).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Was there a recent update to Office03 that I need to roll back?

AL

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AL,

Don't have an answer, but just to narrow things down, is this delay happening only in Word? For instance, is copy/paste in Excel unaffected?

Gary

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Al,

Strange as it may seem, your video driver may be the culprit, especially if it's been updated lately (or if some other update is now causing a conflict with it).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just figured it out!

I thought I'd watch TaskMgr when I copy/pasted to see how Word behaved. It went from 0% usage to 2% and back to 0%. Drat. No help there. Then I noticed Adobe Premiere Elements was steadily using 50%...and it isn't even running! I killed the process and Word is snappy once again.

It all makes sense now: about 10 days ago I "upgraded" to the latest version of Premiere and Photoshop Elements 8. Both do little better but run much slower (of course!). Irritatingly, each now starts not by loading the respective program, but by loading another app that asks you "Do you want to run Premiere or Photoshop or log into Adobe.com?" How annoying! I cleverly skipped that silly waste of time by creating a shortcut directly to the Premiere EXE file. Ha, ha. The laugh was on me. Evidently, by skipping that annoyance, I also left Premiere running all the time. Would someone at Adobe please learn to code? <grin>

Ah, the tangled web they weave...

Thanks to all who responded. This was a real doozy!

AL