Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Arriving Somewhere but not Here
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When did the limit on the number of posts you can make in a day come in?

    Why? I don't think even at the peak of his powers even Slinky managed that number of posts is a day.

    [confused]

    stuck

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,494
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    I believe this was a change implemented yesterday to ward off spambots - with the opening up of the Lounge to search engines the Lounge is much more exposed to the nasty things.
    Wendell

  4. #3
    WS Lounge VIP rory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Burwash, East Sussex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,870
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I don't think even at the peak of his powers even Slinky managed that number of posts is a day.
    I'd be surprised if Hans didn't hit that at least once!
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

  5. #4
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    When did the limit on the number of posts you can make in a day come in?

    Why? I don't think even at the peak of his powers even Slinky managed that number of posts is a day.

    [confused]

    stuck
    He came pretty close some times & may have often gone over. (If he comes back, he'd have a special rule just for him.)

    BTW [ img]http://www.wopr.com/S/confused.gif[ /img] (without the spaces after each "[" ) should give you .

    An HTML page that will let you copy "legacy" smilies from your browser is downloadable by clicking on this link in a Lounge post.
    Grüße

  6. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Arriving Somewhere but not Here
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    An HTML page that will let you copy "legacy" smilies from your browser is downloadable by clicking on this link in a Lounge post.
    That's a bad link when I try it (attachment not found).

    stuck

  7. #6
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I just got the attachment now, I think you hit our attachments problem.
    Try again and let us know if the problem keeps happening.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

  8. #7
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    552
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    I believe this was a change implemented yesterday to ward off spambots - with the opening up of the Lounge to search engines the Lounge is much more exposed to the nasty things.
    That makes sense but I hope they have other protection as well. Having to wade through 50 spams per day per spambot would be a real pain.


    Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

  9. #8
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    That makes sense but I hope they have other protection as well. Having to wade through 50 spams per day per spambot would be a real pain.

    Ronny
    We do have other protection. It just seemed sensible to bring in this extra layer.
    Grüße

  10. #9
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    We do have other protection. It just seemed sensible to bring in this extra layer.
    Thanks Malcolm. Yes, this is a new feature we've implemented. If you haven't noticed a problem with 50 posts per spammer up to now, you can probably chalk that up to the fact that we have other measures in place. If some spammer figures out how to get past our main measures they'll be limited to 50 posts in a single day. An alert moderator should be able to catch them and revoke their account and/or ban their IP address within that time.

    Realistically, we want to make sure that we don't limit valuable discussion. 50 seems fine right now, but if you find yourself limited by this you should let us know immediately and we'll change the limit. And any of you long timers who see this number as a problem before it comes up, let me know.

    Thanks,
    Tony

  11. #10
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johnston View Post
    .....If some spammer figures out how to get past our main measures they'll be limited to 50 posts in a single day....
    As spammers - particularly those who have the persistence to post to the same site 50 times within 24 hours - are almost invariably "robots", what help is it to ordinary Loungers to have messages such as "You can make 48 more posts until 2010-01-26 20:26"? Would you not find that irritating?

    Why does such a message not come up after, say, the 45th & subsequent posts? For folks who make a maximum of 5-10 posts per day, this message would be avoided.

    Has IPBoard3 built this "helpful message" into its software in such a way that the threshold cannot be adjusted upward from 1 to something like 45?
    Grüße

  12. #11
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Arriving Somewhere but not Here
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    As spammers - particularly those who have the persistence to post to the same site 50 times within 24 hours - are almost invariably "robots", what help is it to ordinary Loungers to have messages such as "You can make 48 more posts until 2010-01-26 20:26"? Would you not find that irritating?
    As an ordinary lounger , I'm never going to get anywhere near 50 posts in a day so yes, I do find it irritating. In fact more than that, it is unfriendly, abrupt and unwelcoming. It does nothing to put you at your ease and feel as if you might want to hang around here.

    stuck

  13. #12
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    As an ordinary lounger , I'm never going to get anywhere near 50 posts in a day so yes, I do find it irritating. In fact more than that, it is unfriendly, abrupt and unwelcoming. It does nothing to put you at your ease and feel as if you might want to hang around here.

    stuck
    I see your point. I'll look into suppressing the message until it is useful.

  14. #13
    Brian Livingston
    Guest
    There is no reason for legitimate members to see warnings about the number of posts they can submit per day. The limit of 50 was intended only to prevent a spambot from burying the forums with hundreds of junk comments before someone could pull the plug on the spammer's account. We didn't see the message during testing, because the limit did not apply to Admins, Moderators, or VIPs.

    The warning was definitely unfriendly and unnecessary, so we've turned it off. Our software platform, Invision Power Board, must have some way to allow its anti-spambot protection to work without every Lounger being warned upon every post. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •