New Lounger
    Thanks
    This machine is a new Dell Insipiron 545ST bought as a quickie replacement. I reinstalled Home Premium x64 from scratch (clean install), have applied all MS critical updates, and updated drivers and firmware for anything available from either MS or Dell for this machine. Only hardware connected besides a Dell Monitor, standard keyboard, standard mouse, is an Epson printer via USB also purchased with the computer.

My problem is that the machine will randomly freeze up--no cursor or keyboard input possible and the time is frozen in the status bar area. It has never happened while we are working at the machine. It occurs at random frequency.

I have gone in and disabled power management options within Windows, no change.

Event logs don't show anything that I can pick out as a cause. There's no dump file produced. Virus/malware scans are clean.

Does this strike this group as a video/chipset/motherboard problem? I am not looking forward to the call queue time it will take to get anyone to admit it's probably hardware, but I can't come up with anything else to try.

Your help is appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try having Task Manager running. Click on the "Processes" tab. Click the "Show processes from all users" button at the bottom. Then click on "CPU" in the heading to sort descending by CPU. When you (or whoever) is not going to be using the PC for a bit make sure Task Manager is not minimized.

Maybe that will show something when the system locks.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    Also, this might help identify the problem using task manager:

When you get the popup, hit <ctrl><shift><esc> to bring up Task Manager. Under the Application tab, select the offending popup, right-click and select Go To Process. You will now have the executable name. To see from where it is launching, click View on the menu bar and click Select Columns. Check the Command Line option towards the bottom of the list. You will now have additional information in which to help you troubleshoot.

I realize it's slightly different but may assist in isolationg the problem.

If this a new PC as it sounds by your description, Either the reseller or Dell should be online to solve this problem. It may be a problem that requires a replacement.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Also, this might help identify the problem using task manager:

When you get the popup, hit <ctrl><shift><esc> to bring up Task Manager. Under the Application tab, select the offending popup, right-click and select Go To Process. You will now have the executable name. To see from where it is launching, click View on the menu bar and click Select Columns. Check the Command Line option towards the bottom of the list. You will now have additional information in which to help you troubleshoot.

I realize it's slightly different but may assist in isolationg the problem.

If this a new PC as it sounds by your description, Either the reseller or Dell should be online to solve this problem. It may be a problem that requires a replacement.
    The OP says the machine freezes - "no cursor or keyboard input possible and the time is frozen". That is why I suggested have Task Manager already open and on the Processes tab.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Sorry, I tried to offer a suggestion. Leaving Task Manager on Application tab may offer help as well
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the input. I did try leaving Task Manager up, but didn't get anything useful out of it with the freeze still happening.

However, I believe I have traced the problem to AVG 9 Free. Since the only two "service" apps I added to the machine were Zone Alarm and AVG, I uninstalled them to be sure. Once I got rid of Zone Alarm the freeze would happen immediately and consistently. Once I got rid of AVG, no more freeze!

I enabled Windows Firewall for the time being and installed MS Security Essentials for now. The machine's been stable for a couple of days and most importantly my wife has stopped complaining.

There are several complaints on the AVG Free user forum about this exact problem. It appears to have been introduced on Win 7 with version 9, 8.5 still seems to work. AVG was in my blind spot because I've been using it for years on XP with never any issues, and AVG hasn't acknowledged anything officially is wrong yet.

Thanks again for being willing to help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Tilden View Post
    However, I believe I have traced the problem to AVG 9 Free. Since the only two "service" apps I added to the machine were Zone Alarm and AVG, I uninstalled them to be sure. Once I got rid of Zone Alarm the freeze would happen immediately and consistently. Once I got rid of AVG, no more freeze!
    You're welcome. Thanks for posting back. That is good information to have available for others.

Joe
    Joe