Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Question Macrium system recovery message

I just purchased and installed Macrium Reflect v5. Now when the PC boots I am taken to a black/white screen that wants me to choose between a normal boot for Win7 -or- "Macrium Reflect System Recovery". I never saw this message when I ran the Trial version? Anyone know why this is now appearing and why would I select the Recovery option? I suppose it would be if I could not boot normally. But you would think that would be something that would be shown if a normal boot was having a problem and not clutter things showing when it is not needed? Maybe I am not clear on what the situation is? Also, been searching,, darned if I can locate any manual for this product..?? Feeling a bit uneasy about this.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    This almost sounds like you have a Macrium Reflect installation disk in the CD Drive. You did not happen to leave the Boot Rescue Media in the CD/DVD drive did you?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PackGY:
    With Macrium running, have you tried the "circled question mark" up top, that serves as online help?
    Dick

Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, nothing in the CD drive. A good guess tho.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick, I did look thru that Help,, but not very detailed. Pretty much overviews. You would think there would be a PDF manual.

Thanks
    Well, I've done that so I thought someone else could have a moment as well. Sorry, I do not use Macrium Reflect. Have no other thoughts. Is there a item for Macrium in the Start Up Group. Look in msconfig.exe in Boot tab. If so, uncheck it and see if this goes away. if so, a small app I use called What's In Start up works great to delete start up items permanently.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PackGY:
    I haven't used them, but I know at Macrium's website, under "support" there are videos
    showing how to use various features of the product. Perhaps these would help?

BTW, as you could find in other threads, Acronis failed my particular setup; and Macrium worked for me
    right out of the box. I'm a very happy Macrium user. YMMV.
    Dick

Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have something there. In System Configuration 'BOOT' I see this:

Windows7 (C:\windows) : Current OS efault OS
    Macrium Reflect System Recovery (Windows)

Since there are 2, it may be asking, Well... Which one do you want?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I too tried Acronis, would not work for me. They gave no hassle and refuned my money So, trying to provide for that fatefull day when things go bonkers and looking for a good backup program. Ironically, my neightbor was just moaning last night about he could not open tax info from last year. I asked,, What do you backup with? A blank stare.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackGy View Post
    I just purchased and installed Macrium Reflect v5. Now when the PC boots I am taken to a black/white screen that wants me to choose between a normal boot for Win7 -or- "Macrium Reflect System Recovery". Feeling a bit uneasy about this.
    PackGy,
    Hello... I don't use the "Pay For" version of V-5 , but use the Free version..This is what i think is happening .. Like Acronis, Macrium must have a "Boot recovery option" (a good thing) With Acronis you would be presented at boot time to choose either Windows or Acronis recovery option ... Sounds like Macrium is doing the same ( or similar) ... What this is for ( I have used this many times )..... Is say you trash your OS ....So now you can't boot ...Well if you have a Image stored somewhere you would now "boot" into Macrium and Recover your OS ...Without having to load into windows ...Yea! You probably activated the Boot recovery option when you installed the program ... Just a "WAG" but probably... This also if I'm correct allows you to access the Macrium program without the "Recovery Disk"....You did "burn" one ..didn't you?... Post back if i managed to confuse you ...if so I'm sorry and will try again. ( not to) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    What this is for ( I have used this many times )..... Is say you trash your OS ....So now you can't boot ...Well if you have a Image stored somewhere you would now "boot" into Macrium and Recover your OS ...Without having to load into windows ...Yea!

Not confusing me. Makes sense. I know my wife will not like seeing the extra step when booting. But I see the sense in it now.
    Yes, I did create the Windows PE Rescue Disk.

My take on this is ... if for some reason I can't boot normally,,, I'd shut down re-boot and this time select the Macrium Recovery option. This would then take me to other Macrium options to recover the OS ,, whatever. I don't know how I'd mess up the OS but I suppose those are famous last words! Now,, if I chose to remove the extra line in BOOT, to do the same type thing... would I just fire up with the Rescue Disk in the drive.

Thanks
    So your saying that Macrium Reflect added an option to the MBR in Win 7 to boot to the Macrium Reflect System Recovery without having the Macrium Boot media inserted in the CD Drive? This seems unusual doesn't it?

I suppose if this is the case then EasyBCD could remove this extra boot option from the MBR pretty easily. This would still leave the option to Boot to Macrium by inserting the Boot media. I would prefer that anyway because I do not like things changing my MBR.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure what MBR stands for.. but when youu go to MSCONFIG and look at BOOT tab there are now 2 entries there. One line refers to.. "Window 7 (C:\windows) : Current OS : Default OS" and then another line.. "Macrium Reflect System Recovery (\ Windows)".
    I was suspecting at bootup it was saying You have 2 options here,, which one do you want? Thus confusing me, since there was no explanation of what was going on? If I can save my wife confusion,, I suppose I'd prefer to have it boot the way it used to and then,, if I need to, insert the Rescue disk and reboot again. ... Which I why i was looking for some sort of manual that might explain all of this. (A pause). The response from the community to help me determine what is going on is great! THANKS!

Thanks
    PackGy,

MBR = Master Boot Record.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IMO, Fred is right. I have the paid version of Macrium. Along with a rescue CD, I installed their "Windows Reflect Windows PE Component."
    Now, when I boot, I get 3 options:
    Windows 7
    Macrium Refect System Recovery
    Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

If I do nothing, my system boots to the first option: W7
    However, if I want to, I can arrow down to the Macrium option; and this allows me to recover without
    having to use the rescue cd. I find this easier than using the rescue cd; and the Macrium option of booting gives me many other options as well as recovering an image.

I personally think this option is great; and I don't understand why anyone would want to use EasyBcd to take away
    that option.

For me, the ability to use the rescue cd or not gives me more flexibilty when recovering - sort of belts and suspenders.
    Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast