Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Trying to keep a computer awake for certain activities, such as backing up, is a problem that has been discussed in threads from time to time, and I learned of a promising-sounding solution tonight. I confess I haven't tried it yet, but this seems an opportune time and place to post it, since I happen to have it handy. Any of us might find INSOMNIA to be helpful.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just set my backup time to be at a time when I know I am always on the computer....simple as that! (for me anyway)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My backup program has a scheduler that runs the backup at start up if the schedule has been missed.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Trying to keep a computer awake for certain activities, such as backing up, is a problem that has been discussed in threads from time to time, and I learned of a promising-sounding solution tonight. I confess I haven't tried it yet, but this seems an opportune time and place to post it, since I happen to have it handy. Any of us might find INSOMNIA to be helpful.
    I just use WOLcmd to wake a PC or NAS drive up just prior to a backup for which it is the target, then PING until an alive response is returned. You have to allow for the fact that the ethernet interface wakes up some 20 or so seconds before a PC has rubbed the sleep from its eyes, though. Very easy to create a BATch file for, you will not be surprised to know!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    My new Acronis True Image Home 2010 was just released, has a $10 discount available and did a complete image on my OS in about 8 minutes (approx. 25 GB). For this time, I just do the backups when I'm available to watch things do their thing. Yes, if my hard drive were full, it would take considerably longer, but is still much quicker than Win 7 built in backup app. I prefer to be able to monitor these operations on my system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy