New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Studio 1555 with pre-installed Win 7. Here is the problem. When I try to open Control Panel it hangs and I get a "not responding" message. I close out and try again... same thing... The third time however, Control Panel loads completely and works normally.
    It appears that this only happens when trying to use Control Panel for the first time after a boot.
    Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Do you try to open Control Panel the first time very soon after booting? Or does this problem also occur if your first time starting CP is way into your current session? If it is very soon after Windows 7 comes up, look at Task Manager next time you boot to see what processes take a long time to do their thing before releasing the CPU. Do you see sustained hard drive activity going on when this happens?

If the hard drive and cpu are very busy you can easily get the "not responding" message. If search indexing is sorting through a lot of your hard drive then that can slow things down after booting up. Also, some security suites can dominate your system for a while as well. Also, if Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at night (and it supposedly defaults that way in Windows 7) and misses its scheduled time, it will start up when you boot your computer, and that can have a negative effect as well. If all these and other processes are working simultaneously, the the effect is multiplied. Have you tried just waiting a little longer to see if Control Panel does come up before closing and trying the second time?

Click on your Windows Start button and type in the search field 'msconfig' without the quote marks. When it comes up click on it and click the startup tab and take note of all the programs that start when Windows boots.

Has your laptop always done this, or did it start doing so after some specific change was made on your computer?

Does your 1555 manifest any other problems? How much memory is installed?

Check in Event Viewer in Control Panel>Administrative Tools the next time this happens and look for any warnings or errors close to the time the '"not responding" message appeared. Focus on the Software and System Logs.

These are just some things to consider.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I have had problems in the past with the junkware that manufacturers install on new PCs conflicting with Windows. It may be worth either disabling or removing the junkware to see if this helps with your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald,

It happens on the first instance of invoking CP....generally far into a session.
    I do not run Defrag automatically.
    Nothing in startup is out of the ordinary.
    Laptop has done this since day one. 4 GB of RAM installed and no other problems.

I'm chasing down some posts about the Dell WLAN being the culprit, but no resolution yet.

Marshall

Thanks
    I would definitely get Dell involved in this especially as your laptop is still (I presume) under warranty.

Poor or corrupt drivers can cause this kind of symptom as well. My wife's XP desktop began showing the hour glass and 'not responding' recently. She had to cold boot to bring the system back to life. I finally traced it down to the sound driver. I forget what her on board sound is, but when I downloaded the updated driver for it this problem went away and we have not seen it since.

Let us know when you get this resolved and how you did it...will help others.
    Thanks
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe it's resolved. I found this and it works.

If you remove BCMWLCPL.CPL from the C:/Windows/System32 folder, the control panel will not crash. This file is the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.
    If you experience a similar issue, I suggest you move the file BCMWLCPL.CPL to another location and edit the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility shortcut provided in your Start Menu to point to the new location.

I moved the .cpl file in question to a folder I have called "tweaks" and pointed the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility to the new location. Simply deleting the .cpl file from System32 works as well, and causes no problems, other than not being able to use the Dell WLAN Utility.

Seems like a .cpl conflict between a MS and Dell file extension.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    OEMs such as Dell often seem to have problems with addons like that. Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe
    Joe