5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an old XP computer using Outlook Express to gather my e-mail from my ISP's server. I need to transfer all this information, email, contacts, address book, saved email, etc., to the new computer running Windows 7. I am assuming that Windows Live has taken the place of Outlook Express. I don't know whether Windows Live (WL) downloads e-mail from my ISP's server to my computer like Outlook Express, or does it access the e-mail from my mail box on my ISP's server.

The other aspect of this - where does Outlook Express keep all the email, contacts, saved mail etc., on the XP machine? Can this information simply be copied (e.g., using CDs) to WL files on the Win7 machine and renamed if necessary, or are the formats so different that this stuff has to be started from scratch?

Any insight, assistance, help etc, that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I moved this to non-Outlook e-mail because it is about Outlook Express & Windows Live Mail not Outlookj.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    OE & Windows Live Mail are very similar creatures. You could copy the stored location to a CD/DVD disc for safe backup periodically
    and restore from them by importing email messages/contacts.

To find the store location, go to; Tools>>Options>>advanced>>maintanence. Click on "store folder" to see the
    folder path.

I'd recommend using the "import" function as opposed to copying folder to folder. (File>>Import>>Messages).

As to synchronising with your ISP's server there has been some issue as to whether or not WLM supports POP. I've use web based
    email exclusively for the last few years. Someone else may comment on this, but I don't anticipate seeing a problem with it though.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nice tutorial here.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul and CLiNT thanks for the reply, but I am still unclear exactly what I need to do. I have an old XP machine (actually it is my wife's) which used Outlook Express for her email functions. Not only do I need to setup WLM as the new mail function on the new laptop for her - Paul I think I can figure that out from your tutorial, if not my ISP can surely add to the tutorial, but I also want to save all the email and the received email in the various folders she has built up over the past few years.

CLiNT, I could not find the path you mentioned...To find the store location, go to; Tools>>Options>>advanced>>maintanence. Click on "store folder" to see the folder path. I got as far as the "advanced" part, but didn't see a maintenance button, unless I am looking in the wrong place. If you have any clarification of this, I would really appreciate it. I also appreciate your insight on the "import" function, rather than a straight copy. Will this also "import" all the favourite places and address book as well. My wife really needs to have the address book imported over to her new laptop. Is there a corresponding "Export" from the CD/DVD to Windows 7 if I put the disk in the laptop and import into Windows Live Mail?

Any additional insight that anyone would care to contribute will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Any additional insight that anyone would care to contribute will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Your best bet would be to do the following when you are ready to start using the new PC.

1.) Install WLM and use on the old PC. It will import the OE mail & contacts.

2.) Install Windows Easy Transfer from the Windows 7 DVD or download from Download details: Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7.

3.) Use Windows Easy Transfer to capture the data on the old PC.

4.) Install WLM on the new PC.

5.) Use Windows Easy Transfer on the Win 7 PC to import the data and settings from the old PC.

See Transfer files and settings from another computer as a starting point for more information on Easy Transfer.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for the information on Windows Live Mail and the setup on the old machine (32bit XP) - done. I have already used Windows Easy Transfer to move old data etc., off the XP machine to the new Win7 machine. I did this when we first set up the new laptop. What I still do not know or understand is which files I need to move from the XP machine to the new Win7 machine to maintain the integrity of my wife's e-mail account, including all her contacts (contact list) and the saved e-mail that she has saved in folders on her old XP machine. I don't know where to find these files and am still wondering if the original Easy Transfer included these files as well as all her other files. If these files, mail contacts, saved mail folders, etc., were indeed transferred, then where do I find them on the new Win7 machine because, we have already configured Windows Live Mail on the Win7 machine. Just need to set it up with our ISP, but that is for me to worry about later, The biggest thing is to get the contacts and saved mail folders transferred so they can be accessed and used on the new machine. Any additional insight that you, or anyone else would care to provide will be greatly appreciated by both me and my wife. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    I'd also recommend moving your stored folder to a different partition when everything is up and running.
    Just make sure the folder that you move your "store folder" to is an empty one.

By moving your store folder off your primary drive you can save disk space as well as preserve email messages for backup. From there you can burn them to CD or usb stick.

The "location path" of the store folder can be seen by going to; Tools>>Options>>advanced>>maintanence.
    "store folder" lacation path will be under maintenance in OE.
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\user-name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    (your wife's account may be located under her username if she has a separate logon from your's)

Yes, WLM will populate your contacts and messages from your OE account, but in the future I think you will find
    the Import/Export fuctions quite usefull. Just learn the intricate layout of your folders and their locations.

Hope this has helped

C
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read these posts with interest because I had essentially the same problem. I had saved my address book in both csv & wab formats and my messages from the store folder to an external hard drive. After setting up WLM on the Win7 computer, I went through the import process. My contacts all came through fine as did my inbox, sent mail & deleted mail. However none of the other mail folders transferred. When I tried just selected folders, I got the following error message: "Not all of the messages from the (selected folder) could be imported. An error has occurred." I am wondering if there is some other approach I could take. I did not have WLM running on the XP computer. Would that make a difference?

Thanks
    Find out exactly where your "other mail folders" reside on your computer and physically copy them to your new store location.
    Take care as these folders are far from being named intuitively with many folders and subfolders. (make sure you get the right ones)
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I copied all the files (1 at a time) from my backup drive where I had saved them to the new WLM store location. They are O.E.'s "dbx" files and apparently WLM cannot read them. They don't show up in the new store location either. Now what?