New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm preparing my Dell XPS M1330 laptop for an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. Wanting to be very cautious about this, I ran Acronis Home Edition 2009 and created a sector-by-sector backup. My plan was then go back and use the MS wizard and manual file copies to ensure that I had my data.

After running Acronis to create the backup, I restart the computer and get this message:
    A disk read error occurred
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Del

In an attempt to fix this, I've booted from the Vista recovery disc and run "chkdsk /f" with this result:
    Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from disk.
    Windows cannot recover master file table.

I've also tried the SystemRestoreCD tools. They see the partition at NTFS in one place, but when I try to mount the partition I get "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3"

At this point I don't trust the Acronis backup to just go ahead and restore it. It took a very long time sitting at "28 seconds remaining" while it continued to send data to my external USB hard drive. It seems the safe approach would be to purchase a new hard drive and restore to that. Before I go that route I'd like to see if anyone here can offer some advice on how to proceed.

TIA. Ernie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect your hard disk is broken, so the safest option is to borrow or buy another hard disk and restore to that. Before you do that download a hard disk test CD image from the disk manufacturer's website and boot the laptop and test the disk.
    Alternatively you could remove the hard disk and connect it as a second disk in a desktop and attempt to copy the data off / test the disk.

As an aside, why are you bothering to upgrade to W7? Apart from spending time and money, what are you gaining?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It does seem as though the hdd has failed. The image may still work when you acquire a new HDD, but ATI 2009 is suspect with Win 7. You may have to upgrade to ATI Home 2010
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, gang. I just didn't want to restore onto the existing hard drive without exploring other options because that would probably remove any chance of getting to the original disk data. The move to Windows 7 is because Vista is such a dog for speed and my testing on other hardware has shown 7 to perform better. Since this was a sector-by-sector backup I wonder if I can restore it to a larger drive. If I'm gonna replace it, I may as well get some benefit out of it.

Ernie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Depends on the backup program. Even old versions of Ghost will restore to different size disks.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie DeVries View Post
    I'm preparing my Dell XPS M1330 laptop for an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. Wanting to be very cautious about this, I ran Acronis Home Edition 2009 and created a sector-by-sector backup. My plan was then go back and use the MS wizard and manual file copies to ensure that I had my data.

After running Acronis to create the backup, I restart the computer and get this message:
    A disk read error occurred
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Del

In an attempt to fix this, I've booted from the Vista recovery disc and run "chkdsk /f" with this result:
    Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from disk.
    Windows cannot recover master file table.

I've also tried the SystemRestoreCD tools. They see the partition at NTFS in one place, but when I try to mount the partition I get "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3"

At this point I don't trust the Acronis backup to just go ahead and restore it. It took a very long time sitting at "28 seconds remaining" while it continued to send data to my external USB hard drive. It seems the safe approach would be to purchase a new hard drive and restore to that. Before I go that route I'd like to see if anyone here can offer some advice on how to proceed.

TIA. Ernie
    Ernie,
    Hello, I was wondering why you use "sector by sector " type of backup? I have used Acronis TI V-11 , 2009, 2010, and always use the "regular " backup option and never had any problems doing so. ( have done about a 100 backups and probably more recoveries ) I believe the sector by sector option backs up even the "blank" areas on your disk. You might give the regular backup a go. Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have to agree with Fred. A sector by sector will put a whole lot of blank space in your image, and has to be considerable slower, and this method does not create a better back up than regular.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy