New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for some simple solutions to a very specific backup problem: my wife's laptop (on the LAN) cintains critical real estate data which is being backed up online with Carbonite. I've been very happy with this service, but it basically only acts as a 'mirror' backup maintaining a 30-day history of deleted files.

I am interested in supplementing this with historical backups (preferably file backups rather than image backups) to be run automatically every two months or so. I'd like to keep copies of each of these backups for about a six months and not have to worry about manually deleting old copies.

These historical backups could be stored either online (via service) or on the large USB backup drive on my desktop (attached to the LAN). The data being backed up is under 70 Gigs.

My preference would be that the solution EITHER is automatically initiated (either from her machine or my desktop) Her data drive is shared, as is the USB drive attached to my desktop.

Her laptop is running Vista (to be upgraded soon to Win 7 Pro) and is left on every night, but is NOT on 100% of the time as she takes it when traveling.

What free and elegant solutions would folks suggest I check out? Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Karen's Replicator is a free program to investigate. I do not think it has all the features you specified.

For a not free solution I recommend Windows Home Server media server, backup and data recovery solution. It is much more than a backup solution.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jeff,

You do not mention what type of LAN, but ....

You might want to try Network-Attached Storage (NAS) (Click Here for Definition)
    You can Google tons of links for NAS Drives, I have used Tiger Direct - some of theirs is -> Tiger Direct NAS.

A very good friend had a similar requirement, my initial solution was to get an External Maxtor One Touch (Now owned by Seagate) and connect to Notebook via USB. The external Hard drive has on-board software to Automatically backup the notebook (selected files, folders, or disk image)..

A few months ago when the requirement became more intensive (notebook primarily used in office and had 3-4 other computers as well) - NAS was used since large capacity drives could be used and anyone on the network can access them (similar to Joe's suggestion).

Hope this helps.
    Scott

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I downloaded Karen C's Replicator and it is truly an incredibly powerful tool. I was able to design a couple of backup jobs that meet all my requirements within minutes.

With kudos to Karen, I must say that the program's flexibility stems from the fact that it was written as 'generic backup tool'. Rather than offering a regimented set of rules to define backup jobs, the program provides a diverse number of methods for defining practically ANY type of backup. It handles 'mirroring' as easily as marginal, partial and full backups... AND most importantly in my situation, it provides a simple file creation method for creating historical snapshots on a regular but infrequent basis.

I, too, will also recommend it highly!

And I'm still trying to get over the OUTRAGEOUS price... ($0)

J.