2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go external hard drive that I have been using to drag and drop files for backup off my desktop computer. I had it set not to sync automatically.

I want to copy the primary files from my desktop onto my laptop. So, tonight I attached it to my laptop computer, and it proceeded to copy off old files from my laptop and combined them with all the backup files I had on the Seagate. Enough aggravation! So, I decided to remove all the software and use it as a bare external drive.

I tried to remove the FreeAgent Go Tools program with REVO uninstaller, and it apparently doesn't want to go away. The program is still on my computer and appears to be in working order. Does the drive HAVE to be attached to remove that software? If so, I'm much afraid to attach it again as I don't want it to mess up the primary files on my desktop computer.

How do I get rid of it so I can go back to using it as a drag and drop backup?
    Thanks so much if you can help. Judy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First a few quick questions:
    When you used RevoUninstaller (BTB-Latest version is 1.85 I believe), did you select the "Advanced" option which is the most comprehensive ?
    If so, did you select all files and registry items and click delete button ?
    If prompted, did you re-start the system so RevoUninstaller could THEN remove any services that were running at time oif uninstall ?

If did NOT do the above, remnants of the software maybe on the computer. Try re-installing the software - then Re-Run RevoUninstaller in "Advanced" mode option and make sure to select and delete all associated files and registry items.

I found a Link at Seagate for How To guides and using hard drive without software - but found no instructions for removing their software other than "normal" procedures.

You may also want to try the Seagate Community Forums and pose your question there.

Good Luck !!!!
    Scott

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, IMNetUser. Thanks for replying.
    I did use the advanced option. However, it suggested a restart right after using the software's uninstall, early in Revo's processes so I said restart later and let Revo continue on with its work. I was also reluctant to check all those registry files that did not specifically say they were for this program. Is it always safe to just check "select all" and assume none are related to something else?
    I did see the info on running it without any software. However, I'm reluctant to even hook it back up until I'm sure the software is totally gone. Will have to do as you say and hope for the best.
    Appreciate the help. Judy

Thanks
    I have never had a problem deleting all the entries Revo states it's safe to delete. leaving registry entries can cause conflicts, but I have never know an app to continue running once you have uninstalled it just from registry entries. I have to believe something went awry with the uninstall.

I was able to remove the Seagate manager with Revo. I also have a Seagate FreeAgent Go. The Ext Drive does not have to be connected to access the Seagate Manager or uninstall it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted. I was wondering if I had to risk plugging it back in to take out the software.

I decided to just delete everything that could be deleted off the external drive while it was still connected to my laptop . It didn't let me take off a couple of software files, but I got all my mixed up data off it and even took most of my personal data off the laptop. I'm trying to duplicate my data from the desktop computer so will copy back those files onto the laptop in their correct form. I'm thinking I may not ever use it again to move data between the two. Don't want to risk having to do all this fixing again. Flash drives for me from now on.

Now I'm considering(?) carefully whether I should go ahead and plug it back in. It shouldn't have anything left on it to try to sync, should it, or even know what files to try to sync? If I get my courage up and that works, I should be ok. It did let me remove the useless Ceedo software off the drive while it was attached to the laptop, but you are probably right about the FreeAgent Go tools. Something had to have gone very wrong with the uninstall of the FreeAgent Go software from my desktop computer.

If you can think of any reason not to proceed as such, please let me know. Thanks again. Judy

Thanks
    I do not use the sync feature. So far I have only used the Go for image backups of mine and wife's laptops. I do not use the Seagate software. I was using Win 7 backup, but it seems very slow so I acquired a copy of Acronis True Image Home 2010. So far I'm very pleased with it. I believe the 3rd party S/W is quicker and has many more features. I looked at Macrium but was not fond of the user interface.

I think you are safe plugging the Go back in, but I would elliminate all the Seagate S/W on your desktop prior to using it again. I also have found that either a network or flash drive (you can get them surprisingly cheap now) work better for transfering files between PC's, or get an Easy Transfer cable to do the job.

Have fun.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Judy,

I agree with restarting later until AFTER the Entire RevoUninstall process has been completed.

Read Ted's post - I to have never had a problem selecting all with Revo's suggestions. As Ted as pointed ouy, leaving registry setting's can cause conflicts and other problems.

I have also used CCleaner (CCleaner.Com) AFTER RevoUninstaller as an additional precaution - but is not really necessary.

NOTE: I have used RevoUninstaller to remove Symantec Internet Security/AntiVirus software from a system BEFORE installing new versions or changing to new software programs. Symantec software is EXTREMELY aggressive program(s) with files/directories and registry setting left all over the place when you use their uninstall program. One of the reasons I like RevUninstaller so much is that it uses the manufacture's uninstal/Remove program First - THEN cleans up what the manuafacture should have taken care of.

GOOD LUCK
    Scott

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted and IMNetUser. I'm going to give the uninstall another try removing everything. Hopefully that will do it. But, is there additional Seagate software besides the FreeAgentGo tools? As I said, I did remove the Ceedo software right from the drive, but one of you mentioned Seagate Manager. Don't think I've ever seen software like that. Thanks again. Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I tried this afternoon to uninstall FreeAgent Go again with Revo. This time, it asked me to review the files and decide what to get rid of. I checked "select all" and when I tried to proceed, it asked if I really wanted to continue without deleting the items. I went back and checked again, and all were selected. I'm thinking my Revo is faulty, since it did not recognize the items were checked for deletion. Will be uninstalling Revo shortly.

Anyway, I did hook up my drive again and went right to Explorer and deleted the Seagate software installed on the drive. This time it let me delete those files. Now, I seem to be able to drag and drop files to the FreeAgent drive with no problem, although I did open the FreeAgent software and it doesn't find a drive attached.

I'll try deleting FreeAgent from my computer shortly with CCleaner this time. Apparently it doesn't matter, though, that it's still on my computer, but I would like it off.

Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate this board. Judy

Thanks
    I've never had the problem with Revo, so I would also suspect a corrupted Revo installation.

The Seagate Manager was an offer on the Seagate web site. I tried it, did not generally think it would suit my need and said good bye. Used Revo to uninstall.

There is also a portable version of Revo Uninstaller that you can install to a USB flash drive. Just plug the flash in and use Revo directly from there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the pointers. I really appreciate them. Judy