2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone used and got views on EASEUS server backup?

Can anyone reccomend a REASONABLY priced server backyp prog?

This is for SBS 2003

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The SBS Backup program that comes with it is a reasonably good one, with decent scheduling functions - althought it does not do a drive image. We've used it on several client servers for several years and had no problems with it. We have used it with both tape systems and with USB hard drives.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dd_uk View Post
    Can anyone recommend a REASONABLY-priced server backup prog?
    This is for SBS 2003
    Have used on WS2003 and now on SBS2008 Premium Edition (64-bit and 32-bit servers) to NAS: BackupAssist. Technical support is exceptionally responsive. Can actually be understood, unlike BackupExec!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Even Open Source versions exist.
    Amanda
    Bacula

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis and paragon is much stabler and safer to use. But EaseUS is fine as well. I tried its partition master once. I'm so impressed.
    That's why I have faith in the company.
    Want to buy the server version as well, wish me luck then!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Like BATcher, I use BackupAssist on SBS2008 too. Unfortunately, SBS2008 does not support runing a native backup to a NAS, I guess the same for SBS 2003. USB attached backup devices are fine in a small residential setting, but I feel much happier with a commercial grade NAS on SBS.

BackupAssist has a great deal of flexibility for scheduling base and incremental backups, inclusions and exclusions, Exchange and SQL Server support too.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Macrium reflect. I do have SQL Server drop a database backup before the Macrium job runs so that I have a database backup. I "think" (open for corrections here) that SQL has a VSS writer and you would get a good backup with just the image/file backup in Macrium.

I don't know what would happen with exchange as I am not running it at this time.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would always have a SQL maintenance task backup to disk and have the Windows backup collect the resulting files. When you want to recover SQL a local copy is always better than having to learn to use the backup products restore feature.

Exchange requires either a Windows backup to disk, or a client for the backup product. Anything else is asking for trouble. I do recommend OnTrack Power Controls to allow you to restore parts of your Exchange server without requiring an Exchange server - it mimics an Exchange server and allows recovery as long as you have sufficient disk space.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Small business needs to be even more careful with server backups because you don't usually have the expertise to recover if the software doesn't do it for you. In this case a good image backup of the OS (hopefully on C and a file backup of the data (hopefully D.

cheers, Paul