3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    I have an xlsb - Excel 2007 binary workbook that was created on one computer and when it was installed onto another computer the user is getting a read only and a non commercial use across the top. I checked the properties for workbook and the read only was not selected. Any thoughts what it might be

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABabeNChrist View Post
    Hi
    I have an xlsb - Excel 2007 binary workbook that was created on one computer and when it was installed onto another computer the user is getting a read only and a non commercial use across the top. I checked the properties for workbook and the read only was not selected. Any thoughts what it might be
    Good evening

I know that you can get the non commercial use message when you are using office 2007 Home and Student version but I am not sure about the read only issue
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just done a quick Google and found this about read only files

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...527191033.aspx

This seems to suggest that the file needs to be given a new name but I have not read it all
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I have a 2007 Excel worksheet open I notice it too has 'non commercial use' appended to the file name. I found this on Microsoft's support page:

My link

"The "non-commercial use" text is based on the Microsoft Software License Terms for Office Home and Student 2007 products.

In the Microsoft Software License Terms, the "non-commercial use" text identifies the use of the product. You may install one licensed copy of the software on three devices in your household. The software is not licensed for any commercial business activities, nonprofit business activities, or revenue-generating business activities. . . ."

Wow, this is pretty strict. How many non-profits can afford a business copy? I'd think Microsoft would like to extend it's educational philanthropy to other social system supports such as non-profits.
    Reboot - that should fix it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Steve and Reboot
    I doubled checked the main workbook and I couldn’t find any restrictions that could possibly cause a read only when it is transferred to another computer. It doesn’t seem to happen on every computer, just on a few. Could it be a setting on another computer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since it happens on some computers and not others, there are many things that come to mind.

The easiest fix would be if this is happening because you are copying the file instead of moving it. If you want to retain a copy of the file in it's original location, then save the file with a slightly different name and them move that file (versus copy) to the new location. The file should retain it's settings.

Another thought is; are you doing this within your own network/on computers that are all on the same server or between network systems?

Yet another; do you have full admin rights on the computers in question?
    Reboot - that should fix it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Reboot
    What I have been doing is using “Clickteam Install Creator” a tool to create software installations
    I give complete instructions of exact location to install program. When possible I install myself, it seems to go smooth then. It always seems to be the long distance ones…..
    And yes I do have full admin rights.
    Got me scratching my head on this one

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABabeNChrist View Post
    Hi Reboot
    What I have been doing is using “Clickteam Install Creator” a tool to create software installations......
    It's beginning to sound as if this is a problem with Clickteam Install Creator. Do you really feel that the Spreadsheets Forum is the right place for this thread?
    Grüße

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was first at General Productivity, then was moved here.
    I havnt a clue