Thread: Win7 Back up

Lounger
    Thanks
    Need help understanding the backup program in Win7 Ultimate. Seems I have no choice other than the drive to backup to (no named folder). I have a dual boot machine, XP on one drive and Win7 on another and when I did a Image backup had no choice but do both drives. Have done quite a bit of reading but something is not sinking in or I'm missing something. I did a backup 1/12/2010 and another one yesterday but when I go look for the latest one it is not shown but if I try a restore from back up it is listed. I am using an external drive with 129Gb free space for backups.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about that didn't know there was such place as security and backup. A lot of things I haven't learned about the lounge.

Thanks
    Yes, the Windows backup tool is a simple back up and image tool. If you have more complex needs I would suggest a 3rd
    party imaging app.

In Windows Backup go to "change settings">>Select your destination, then next. Choose "let me choose" check the box
    in the lower left to do an image, and the primary drive.

Windows Backup will handle multiple backups, but it will not alow you to name them, and also it will not show you all
    your backups until your ready to restore them. Only then will it show you previous backups by date. (timestamp)
    It should continue to make multiple backups until your run out of disc space, then it will start deleting the earlier backups.

Remember to make a restoration disk, it will alow you to boot and restore images.
    I find the program works more smoothly if you use the restoration disk to restore images from.

Hope this helps
    C
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint, I had found what you are saying except for the let me choose an was about to come to the same conclusion you give. I have Karen's Replicator on the other drive and I also have acronis 2009 home so will see if they will work with Win7.

Thanks
    I have read a lot about Acronis2009 and it seems it has problems with Win 7. It is suggested to update to ATI Home 2010 which is fully compliant with Win 7. This is another one of those situations where a S/W manf. prefers to issue a new version to sell an upgrade for rather than service users of the older edition by upgrading it to allow use with a new OS. Many utility S/W manf. follow this business plan, to the chagrin to numerous users of this S/W.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up Ted.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The free Macrium Relect works great with Windows 7 64 bit.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Arn View Post
    The free Macrium Relect works great with Windows 7 64 bit.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

I also tried Macrium Reflect free version, but had some problems with the user interface, or using it, or something. I have to admit, it was a fairly short trial period, but I just could not get it to do what I wanted, so I decided on Acronis TI Home 2010.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy