2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

My husband is an Accountant and uses QuickBooks at his clients. He always makes a backup copy in a Directory in Windows Explorer of his weekly entries. Then, he uses Nero to burn that backup on a CD to bring home in order to restore it to his copy of QuickBooks. He's having a little problem after burning his CD, he would like to open Windows Explorer and delete the backup file but Windows Explorer does not re-open and he has to do a shutdown to get it to work.
    Can someone help him? Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Is there any error message?

Have you checked the event logs?

If this is a recent development, what has changed on the system?

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are using Windows XP or later you can burn direct to CD without using Nero. Either drag n drop, or right click on the file, select Send To and choose the CD drive.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No JoP he does not get error messages and it is recent development.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, I told him to try this. I use it all the time myself.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cuscus View Post
    he does not get error messages and it is recent development.
    Nothing at all happens?

Have you tried a System Restore to a time when before the problem started?

Have you recently updated Nero?

Have you uninstalled Nero, tested Windows Explorer, and then reinstalled Nero?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Nothing at all happens?

Have you tried a System Restore to a time when before the problem started?

Have you recently updated Nero?

Have you uninstalled Nero, tested Windows Explorer, and then reinstalled Nero?

Joe
    According to what he tells me, nothing happens and cannot use his Windows Explorer at all so he has to reboot.

I will mention your two suggestions "System Restore and uninstalling Nero" to him.

Should Nero be updated or are you saying that maybe an update was done and caused this? Thanks for everything.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Should Nero be updated or are you saying that maybe an update was done and caused this? Thanks for everything.
    I don't know about Nero. I don't use it. But I thought it would be worth the effort to completely uninstall it just to see if the problem was still present. Nero has been known to do some strange things to a system here and there.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I don't know about Nero. I don't use it. But I thought it would be worth the effort to completely uninstall it just to see if the problem was still present. Nero has been known to do some strange things to a system here and there.

Joe
    Joe, my husband informed me that he needs to update his Nero so I guess the problem might be that. Thanks for all the help.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, my husband informed me that he needs to update his Nero so I guess the problem might be that. Thanks for all the help.
    I think it unlikely that the problem is with Nero, even if out of date. An older Nero seemed to work quite well for me until I caved in to advertising and bought a 'special deal', and there is a recently-updated free version available from Nero that will perform most ordinary functions if your husband wants to download that. I don't know where to tell him to look, but it is a head-scratcher of a problem from the description.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is one link for the FREE Nero Lite 9.4.12.708. It is 31 MB, by the way, so it is substantial in its own right.

== Edit by Jefferson ==

Note: The official download page for the free "Nero 9 Lite" is: http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    QuickBooks lets you create either of two types of file: a Backup copy, or a Portable company file, for the purpose you are suggesting. It might help any QuickBooks experts who are in a position to answer if you included which, if either, of those it is. (The latter seems likely to me.) QuickBooks also has an automatic update feature, and if the installation has that turned on there may have been an update to the program that escaped your husband's attention.

Neither of those suggestions seems likely to be important, since the behaviour you describe is for Explorer, and that is very strange indeed given the importance of Explorer to Windows, and it is presumably only on the one computer. It might help if you could tell us which version of Windows is on that computer.